The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink 1g wideband kit, simulating NB, installing WB bung

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwb

Proven Member
Sep 9, 2021
Broomfield, Colorado
I'm looking at this wideband kit on Amazon*: Innovate 3796 LC-2 & Bosch LSU 4.9. As best I can tell, this is a comparable kit to what ECMTuning lists on their site, but LSU 4.9 instead of a 4.2 sensor.
Does anyone see any problems with this kit for a 1g DSM? Are there any issues by running the 4.9 sensor over the 4.2?

What are the drawbacks if I simulate NB with ECMLink? I like the idea of using the stock O2 location for simplicity reasons. However, it seems like a dedicated WB bung is preferred, but I've read that the sensor needs to be oriented in a specific way (45 deg?) for longevity - i.e. condensation drip. So welding the bung in the correct position (and distance from turbo) is important. How about type of steel for the bung, what works best so the sensor doesn't seize - mild steel or stainless? Stainless is my gut feeling. What type of steel is the 1g stock downpipe? Should the bung be the same type of steel?

*I would normally buy something like this from one of the supporting vendors, but I had some unexpected Amazon "cash" come my way. What better way to spend it than on my DSM!

1) I wouldn’t use Innovate widebands. Ive used multiple Innovates and the sensors don’t last long. I’ve heard better reviews on the AEM X widebands or Ballanger.
2) if you're able to, run NB and wideband as the wideband senors tend to die frequently leaving you with a stranded car if simulating NB.
3) The kits come with their own bungs

1) I wouldn’t use Innovate widebands. Ive used multiple Innovates and the sensors don’t last long. I’ve heard better reviews on the AEM X widebands or Ballanger.
2) if you're able to, run NB and wideband as the wideband senors tend to die frequently leaving you with a stranded car if simulating NB.
3) The kits come with their own bungs
ECMTuning specifically called out AEM as troublesome: https://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/aemwb
Is AEM X any different?
I've read conflicting info about Innovate's longevity. Seems like installation and platform could play a big role.

WB and NB make sense. I still want my setup to be somewhat reliable :hmm:

Narrow band simulator with ECMLink works well. I have a 2G, and running a narrow band simulator will open one input that would otherwise be used by the front o2 for analog sensor logging.

If you don't need to log an additional sensor, then having the stock front narrow band AND a WB for monitoring gives you an additional data point to diagnose issues.

I also had my Wideband flat-line due to a loose connector and the stock narrow band kept the fuel trims happy. I didn't even know the WB had flat-lined until I looked at the logs.

I’m a fan of the AEM X. I have tried innovate mtxl (my fav innovate wb), the lc-1 and lc-2. They seem to be very sensitive to shorts.

Also, running nb simulation and losing a sensor is fine as long as your tune is good. I’ve recently been playing with running open loop ALL the time. I think my car runs best this way (my 1g using an old aem uego for nb sim)

IIRC there are settings you can update in ECMLink with voltages that help the AEM UEGO play nice. I've lost the numbers but I'll see if I can dig later and find them. I'll be doing this soon when I go to log my wideband. It's an old AEM UEGO, and I don't wanna change it out unless I have to because all the other gauges are AEM digitals too. So if I replace one, I gotta replace them all.

I decided to go with an AEM X after reading through some more information. The best I can tell sensor longevity can directly to relate to the preheat cycle. Some sources claim Innovate vs AEM heat differently. :idontknow:
It will be installed in the downpipe to be further downstream and I will keep the stock NB.
On to pod and bung...

Nice, dude! Who knows all the outliers with each and every set up. Glad you pulled the trigger, I'm sure it'll be just fine. Slam jam that thing in a hole and start logging! 🤘🤘🤘

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back