The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1g vs 2g turbo(awd or not)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkreeves

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2002
Amanda_Ohio
i was lookin into buy a dsm cuz they are my fav cars. i used to have laser but i hit a telephone poll with it, and the probe i am driving now just isn't cuttin it man. i wanted an awd turbo or just a turbo. i was wondering which engines are better. the 1g or 2g. if i get a second gen it will have to be like a 95' or 96' cuz i have 9k to spend but i don't want to spend all my money. but i prolly will end up just in modding the car. i was just wanting to know what would be the smarter choice. 1g or 2g. if you all could give me some pros and cons and which is better that would kick ass..

thanks...

They are both excellent cars that have a lot of potential in terms of handling and acceleration.

However, the 1G has a stronger stock turbo. If you aren't interested in going past high 12s, and more likely low 13s, then the 1G turbo can take you there. There is one guy who has a low 12 1G with the stock turbo, but he has the weight reduced 500+ pounds. The BOV on 1Gs can handle more boost than 2Gs also.

The 2G has better handling due to it's wider wheelbase. There may be other reasons, but I brought up this question on these forums and everyone seems to agree that the 2Gs handle significantly better. Also, the exhaust manifold is better on the 2Gs (Correct me if I am wrong please, I am a little unsure of this).

It depends on what you want more, looks, or performance. If you mainly want performance, then get a 1g for they are cheap cars, and cheap to mod. 2g's styling is obviously more preferable, but they're more expensive and there is an issue with the 7 bolt motors if you weren't aware of it, search for crankwalk.

I personally picked up a 1g for the peace of mind of not having to worry about crankwalk, and because of the price.

engine wise here are some of the other differences aside from the 6 bolt 7 bolt issue.

2g's have a higer compression ratio 8.5:1 vs 7.8:1 for 1g's
2g's have a better flowing exhaust manifold
2g's have a better flowing o2 sensor housing
2g's have a better flowing throttle body elbow
1g's have a better turbo
1g's hae a better flowing head
1g's have a bigger throttle body
early 1g's(90-91) have a weaker trans, and 3 bolt rear
92.5 up have the better 4 bolt rear and slightly stronger trans
without digging into the motor 1g's definately have the major advantage mostly due to the head design.

I'm probably forgetting stuff but its 2.15 am

I agree with the above post HOWEVER if you can find the rarer 6 bolt and i think mine has a 4 bolt rear im not sure realy which bolt you guys are talking about though...

thanks for the info. but which is a better car overall?? I am not sure if i am gonna use it as my daily driver or not. But i probably will because my probe is about to go over the deep end.. but it should last another year or so. So for awihle this car will be a weekend car. I just want to make sure i am gettin the better car. Which car has less problems, and which car will hold up better all around?? All i want to know is am i gonna be better off with a 1g or a 2g??

"better car overall" - it all depends what yore looking for, man. if you asked, which is the better car, a civic or a corvette. if you want a cheap, reliable, fuel efficient car then the civic is better. if you want a bigger, faster car then the vette is better... look at the posts above and decide what you want. if you take care of your car and dont beat on it, then they can both be reliable. if you mod it like you said you plan too, they will both become less reliable, stuff is more likely to break, and more $ needed to spend on repairs. My advice: Id say get a 1G for cheaper, spend a little $ on it fixing/replacing things, rebuild the engine, mod it a little bit, and youve got a fairly reliable car thats quick. Some people say the 2Gs look better, but the look of the 1Gs will grow on you. Good luck with whatever you get, later.

nobody can answer if a 1g or 2g will be better for YOU. like matt said. who knows, maybe you'll buy a 2g and in 5 months get crankwalk and you'll say"I should've got a 1g". or maybe you'll get a 1g and end up replacing all the things that need replacing in a 10 year old car and say "I should've got a 2g". Or maybe you'll have zero problems and just run 10's all day.....anythings possible.....we can only tell you the differences so you can make an educated decision.

oh, and to add to my above post

early 1g's have bigger ie stronger rods.
early 1g's have puny wimpy brakes
late 93 and up cars have nice "big brakes"
90 has a better oil cooler design, less prone to breakage

Originally posted by MattR
"better car overall" - it all depends what yore looking for, man. if you asked, which is the better car, a civic or a corvette. if you want a cheap, reliable, fuel efficient car then the civic is better. if you want a bigger, faster car then the vette is better...

holy crap, a 2g DSM is to a 1g DSM as a Civic is to a Vette ::head beings hurting::

Originally posted by punkreeves
what exactly is crank walk???

i know it's not an "acceptable" answer, but if you search under "crankwalk", you are bound to find a large number of threads regrading the often talked about and highly overrated CW providing you with plenty of technical information/links, 1g owners sticking they're tongues out saying "na na na naaaaa na", 2g owners either crying cause it actually happened or getting their panties wet cause they think they might possibly have it, and the usual flaming that ensues.

all in all, it's personal preference. all the 1g performs better, 2g looks better is crap. you can make a 2g faster than a 1g, you can make a 1g look better than a 2g, it's just a matter of preference... fact is, every problem on these cars you may and will encounter is easily fixable with the huge aftermarket part selection and helpful, readily available knowledge/advice you can find here on this website :)

Originally posted by WhipmastaFlex
i know it's not an "acceptable" answer, but if you search under "crankwalk", you are bound to find a large number of threads regrading the often talked about and highly overrated CW providing you with plenty of technical information/links, 1g owners sticking they're tongues out saying "na na na naaaaa na", 2g owners either crying cause it actually happened or getting their panties wet cause they think they might possibly have it, and the usual flaming that ensues.

all in all, it's personal preference. all the 1g performs better, 2g looks better is crap. you can make a 2g faster than a 1g, you can make a 1g look better than a 2g, it's just a matter of preference... fact is, every problem on these cars you may and will encounter is easily fixable with the huge aftermarket part selection and helpful, readily available knowledge/advice you can find here on this website :)

wow, that's very good. :thumb:

i couldn't have said it better myself. i agree with you completely about all of that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back