The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 1G Unusual timing belt wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalobeans

Probationary Member
Dec 10, 2009
Salt lake city, Utah
K where do I start so I have a 93 talon nt that I swaped a 6 bolt into everything was going great, 700 miles later I get a noise from the timing belt side (driver). It sounds like a wobley pulley or something off balance, rubbing on the timing belt cover or in it? So I check the belt (new) and it already has wear on it on every 4th tooth there is a little groove/cut out/indention, it's really small close to 1mm in half moon shapes.

When the motors running the timing belt doesn't move. It sounded just like how everyone describes a crank pulley/harmonic balancer, so I removed all belts but timing and balance belt. I also removed the crank pulley which didn't separate into two pieces it looked good. It also made the same noise with all of them off so I naturally ruled it out.

Prior to the noise I noticed that my oil dumbie light would come on when motor was hot and would go away temporarally if you increased idle I'm just hoping it's all being caused by the same thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
So it turned out it wasn't the tensioner and a burr would be inconstsant
but me checking the tensioner helped me stumble upon the entire balence belt was shreaded and that would answer my oil dumby light, and off balence engine
Yes it has come off when i droped the motor in

I'll upload pics later today of the timing wear

Last edited:
make sure you didn't mix up your 2 short pan bolts with long ones. My guess that's yer problem.

SEARCH FOR " timing belt falling apart"

Last edited:
^^ exactly. If the pan came off and the 2 short bolts got mixed up with the rest when it was put back on then it's very possible that one one of the long bolts is protruding far enough to make contact with the belt. However, when that happened to me the wear mark was very even along the length of the belt None of this skipping 4 teeth in between.
A picture will help.

If you have grooves in the teeth of the belt then i'd check the teeth on all of the gears. you might find a burr or maybe something was bouncing around inside the timing cover.

I could have mixed them up but wouldn't that have even wear all the way around the belt and could my noise be interlinked?

Ok so here is a photo look very close to the motor side of the timing belt and you'll notice a mark on the edge of the belt every 4 teeth

Could it be caused by the balence shaft?

Attachments

• 1260572449.jpg
    1260572449.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 188
not your pan bolts if that's what it is. guess i didn't understand the situation before the pics. pictures do tell 1000 words. sorry for the confusion

The only thing I can think of that would leave a mark on the outside of the timing belt is the tensioner. It's also about the right diameter to leave a mark every 4 teeth.

So it turned out it wasn't the tensioner and a burr would be inconstsant
but me checking the tensioner helped me stumble upon the entire balence belt was shreaded and that would answer my oil dumby light, and off balence engine

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back