The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g turbo FWD Clutch/flywheel install(or swap)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Note: This is my first attempt at a tech article. So I apologize if I am confusing or it sucks. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE TECH ARTICLE BEFORE YOU START!!!!!!

Car info: My wife drives a 1993 Eclipse GS (1990-4G63 turbo swap). Her Clutch was slipping all the way through 2nd gear (3rd-5th as well) so I took pictures of everything I did to swap the clutch out. This took me about 5 hours, but I stopped to exlplain to my racing club everything and took pictures along the way, so it took my longer than usual.

You will need quite a bit of tools for this job, so make sure you have a full Rachet Set (to inlcude 32mm Socket), Screw Drivers, Pry Bar, hammer, Wrench set, pliers, needle-nose pliers, Also get some friends to help you. Its always good because somtimes you miss something that they get.

Lets start at the top of the car. You will need to clear out a lot of things, First you will need to remove the battery. Disconnect the Negative Terminal, next remove the postive terminal. Remove the Batter Tie down rod. Move all wires out of the way and remove the battery. Next remove the Battery Stand, it does not need to come out but it makes things SOO much easier. There are 4 bolts holding it down. I circled them in white, the two left ones are under that thick black wire and are moderately difficult to get to.

Attachments

• step 1.jpg
    step 1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6,402
The flywheel gone.....

Also here you can see all the bolts that hold the tranny in place....

The white ones are the Engine/Tranny bolts.
The Green one is where heat sheild/tranny bolt is
The pink ones are the Starter bolts.

Attachments

• step 16.jpg
    step 16.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 9,763
EXTRA HELP!

When every possible, put the bolts back where the came from, this helps keep track of what goes where. Here you see my putting the bolts in after removing the shifter cables. You can do this with alot of the bolts. Its an easy tip, and its makes things less complicated. Its harder to find which bolt you need when you got 50-sum bolts laying on the table.

Attachments

• pict0033.jpg
    pict0033.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3,243
After removing an axle replace the install the hub back to its orginal postion and put a bolt/screw driver through the hole, like I did here. This places less strain on the brake line, to much stress will affect braking performance.

Attachments

• pict0046.jpg
    pict0046.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,244
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back