The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1g transfer case in a 2g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_korn_99

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2004
Bentonville, Arkansas
Hello,
I've come upon a transfer case that is for sale dirt cheap. Its out of a 1990 GSX. will that work in a 2g car? If it will, i'll buy it to keep as a spare, seeing how my luck is now days...
Thanks
-Tim

dont think so, different spline count on the earlier vs later transfer cases. (26 vs 27?)

Good thinking tho, can never have too many extra transfer cases on hand when one eats shit.

Doing some extensive searching on here, and some other sites, i think i understand what's different. I'm pretty sure that mine will be a 23 spline count. and, so is the transfer case that im looking to buy. BUT, i think on the 97 and up cars, that the gearing is different inside the transfer cases. so, even though it will physically bolt up, it wouldnt work. or would it? im still not 100% sure, maybe someone can confirm this. I'm still gonna purchase it because it is so darn cheap. and maybe it will come in handy one day.

You have a 97, it'll be a waste of money.

The drive/driven gear is pretty much all that consist of the t-case and that is what differs from the pre-96/ 97+. So unless you want the outer casing,bolts and nuts dont buy it.

Buying an auto t-case would be more benificial than that. It's got the same gear ratio(1.074) as the 97+ 5spd tcase = same P/N drive/driven gear if you can rebuild your own.

-treebonker

Sorry, but i dont know the model number of my transmissions. Its a 5 speed... I'll email Jon at TRE and see what i can find out. Though, im pretty sure that if the eclipses changed in 97, that the talons did also.
Thanks for the info though
-Tim

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back