The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1g talon nt sputtering issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar5456

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2010
Mitchell, South_Dakota
ok well i just picked up a 91 talon es nt. Had some battery issues got it resolved cross fingers :pray: .But my issue i am having it seems to sputter lack power hesitant the whole nine yards. Only seems to do it in between 3-4 gear sometimes in 1st when i leave .It seems if i try and go over half throttle it starts it i am kinda confuse could it be i got bad gas/or wrong octane i use unleaded 89?. I really need some help on this as i picked this up as my dd want to be able to put some good maintenance into my tsi so i have the NT for getting around. Maybe it needs new plugs and wire the plugs look nasty i cleaned them also sea foamed the car and did it smoke ever the wires look to be for a turbo model though. Do the nt and turbo share the same wires the are thick yellow one> any help would be nice thanks:hmm:

I had this very same problem.
Check your grounds and your terminals first!
Then second check vacuum leaks or gaskets.

I would check for vacuum leaks the plug wires just sound like accel wires to me

..and you can use 85 being an NT ... don't use any higher octane fuels-wasting your money.

And blow out that SeaFoam crap and change the oil. Thing prob needs a good simple tune-up.

Use NGK BPR6ES-11's gapped at .044 in that NT motor. If you gapped them at the turbo settings of .028, that's why you're sputtering due to the spark is being snuffed out.

ya i belive i do have vac leaks it idle surges till at opt temp. Just like my 91 laser and it was cracked up injectors o rings etc. I am running 89 octane seafoamed it and change the plugs and havent had misfiring cutting out sputtering .. yet:shhh: . Any thoughts on the idle surging quite annoying since its loud LOL. As to running plugs they are ngks to my understanding they were gapped already for it . But we all no how good computers are i have got a few wrong parts for that sort of thing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back