The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1g Suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airkyd

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 4, 2002
Richmond Hill, Queens_NY
Is it just my car, or does the suspension really suck on 1gs? I have changed the front springs and struts, and the car still bangs hard when I hit a bump. The car doesn't hit the ground, but I hear a metal against metal sound. I guess it's the springs compressing all the way. Now just recently I noticed when driving on the highway going maybe 60 or faster and hitting little bumps makes the car shake from side to side... it kinda bounces up and down on either side, and it doesn't feel safe at all. Any ideas what it might be? I think I may have a problem with my axel right now, but Im not sure if it's related.

airkyd.....

I have a first gen Talon and had noticed some of the noises that you discuss in your post.

I had noises too, so I ended up replacing parts (over time, not all at once): I went to Pro-Kit springs, AGX shocks, added on a rear anti-roll bar with urethane bushings. changed the front control arm bushings (urethane here too), changed the front anti-roll bar bushings (urethane again), added big brakes from a 3000 GT.....

So as you can see, a lot of work over time. I still occationally get a harsh impact (bad bumps are enough to put out the CD player), although its not a metallic type any more. Bushing maybe? I think so. I do that the AGXs can be made to be stiffer than he!! and yeah, the Talon sounds junky at that point. So I have backed settings off to the soft side to help - its tolerable.

As for the highway, I get wander and some side pitching too....for a while it really concerned me. I thought, shoot, I'm bottoming out and creating side loading. But I took a very good look at the highway - you would be amazed at the grooving and surface roughness. Whats assumed as smooth is pretty bumpy and has a pattern to it. It was in part pitching the car sideways. The tires may be a culprit too (Bridgestone RE92s with pretty low toe settings) in that their setting allows them to wander.

On roads and highways that are not superhighway surfaces, even with good sized bumps in them, the Talon now rides pretty dang good! So I don't think its totally the car design or engienering that is giving the impression of poor ride. I think it may be the highways instead.

I have a 94 Eclipse GS and was having the same side pitching problem. It was really noticeable, especially at speed. I put in Eibach Pro and KYB GR-2s(didn't want to make it too stiff, the roads suck here). This was yesterday and I haven't had a chance to get an alignment yet, but the problem is almost completely fixed. I think it had something to do with the stock springs, but I'm not sure. Has anyone noticed that the stock struts are KYBs? Anyway, that may help you.

How many miles are on it?

A lot of things wear out over time:
bushings
ball joints
wheel bearings

A lot of people overlook one of them and can't find the problem. On my 91 I had GC coilovers, gc camber plates, poly busings, new tie rod ends, and never figured out why the steering had freeplay. Turned out to be a worn wheel bearing.
Do you have a factory manual?

i heard that metal on metal sound so i took my spare tire out and it doesn't do it anymore

But, the metal on metal sounds like its coming more from the front, and mostly on the left side.

And there are about 161K miles on it right now.

you probably need new shocks cuz if yur car has alot of miles on it they have to be worn out and soft

I already have brand new springs and struts in the front...

They don't drop the car at all... they are brand new dealer springs.

Yes it was doing that before I got my shocks and springs, but it was banging MUCH harder then, even over the tiniest bumps going 15-20mph. If I were to hit something on the highway at about 70mph the car would bounce up/down/left/right out of control... VERY scary... It's much better now, but the banging at all is still annoying.

i'm tryin to think of sumthin else but all i can think of is get yur alignment check cuz maybe yur axle is loose on one end and yur wheels is wobling a lil bit and is getting knocked into sumthing when u hit bumps

Thanks... I'll see if I can get that checked out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back