The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G SMIC question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASER4G63T

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2005
Fort Worth, Texas
Hi all..
I just bought a 1G SMIC from a guy on here and it is different than my 1G and anything else I can see online. The brackets are slightly different and also the LIC side is shorter and at more of a steep angle..so it hits my coolant reservoir. It's the same size...just different. Did I get jipped or is this still a 1G? Was there a difference between years in the 1G SMIC?

Are there any suggestions on making it work, or should I just get a '90 IC?

will there be any other problems? Like the LIC hitting stuff?

That's odd. My absolutely bone stock original 1991 model year awd automatic shell has the long pipe 1g intercooler like the 1990 models. It was built August 1990. It has a 1991 eprom (e932a) and the 1991+ wiring harness. I am 100% sure the car is all original. Even the stock 13g is on there. And there would be no reason to swap piping and the intercooler to the 1990 style, since there's no gain. And a woman who didn't know very much about cars bought it new. My brother was the second owner and I'm the third. The intercoolers must have been changed mid 1991.

They're different, you got the sidemount from a 91-94, a 90 has slightly different mounting points and longer lower pipe

Here are some comparision pics

http://dsm.dejonpowerhouse.com/edit/1-03_SIC-1gC.jpg

Message - DSM Classifieds

First pic is for 91-94, second pic is 90

Interesting, I had no idea there was a difference in the 90-94 models. I opted for the larger Alamo side mount intercooler and love it. Its great for the hot summers in Texas for it doesn't interfere with the air flow to the radiator.

You guys didn't have a problem because...your parts car may have been awd they didn't make awd until late 90...the earily 90's had different tuck until bumpers and smic's..

edit...which would mean all awd's had the wide mouth bumpers in 90

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back