The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved 1G Single Click No Start (Intermittent) (90 AWD TSI)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triggerx

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate any help or suggestions from you all.

I have a 90 Eagle Talon TSI Awd (Manual).

The car has sat for a few months due to not being able to start. I initially thought it was a Starter issue because I was getting a single click and the car would not even crank.

I recently changed the starter and it started right up. It started fine for like 3-4 attempts, however now it just gives me a single click when I attempt to turn it on.
The problem is intermittent it seems. Usually I can get it started within like 15-20 attempts of turning the key.

I plan on keeping this car for years, so I don't mind replacing parts on it if I feel that it will become a weak part of the system down the road. From the research I've done, if my wires are good, it sounds like some other culprits can be the ignition switch or an Engine coolant Temp sensor.

Kind of stumped, but here are somethings I've done recently:
  • Battery has been changed and is brand new
  • Starter replaced. Tested old starter as well, and that appears to be good based off of what autozone has told me.
  • Terminals are all new, cleaned some of the contacts as well.
  • Alternator is fairly new, and seems to be charging the battery fine at least.
  • Tried bypassing the starter relay in the car by jumping pins 3 and 1 on the female end with no results. So im assuming the starter relay isn't the culprit.
  • Replaced 20 Amp ignition fuse on positive terminal.
  • No CEL

Thanks,

Last edited:
Solution
Couldn't really figure out how to just update this first post, however wanted to provide an update.

There were multiple issues with the car.

I am pretty sure the main reason was the fuse. The issue was intermittent because when I pulled it and did a resistance check it was actually showing that fuse had not blown. The odd part is, I removed it one more time and shook it and the filament ended up breaking. Hence why the old fuse didnt work, or was working intermittently. Seems kind of bizarre.

I did mention that I replaced the fuse, but it turns out the car wasn't starting because I also had an exhaust leak.

Overall what I ended up replacing in the process:
-ECU repaired/rebuilt by ECMtuning
-ignition Fusible link replaced
-Starter...
Just proves that electrical gremlins are the most evil kind. Still seems like the new starter may only be masking a different problem, though I hate to suggest that. Like somehow it draws just a little less current than a good rebuilt. To test this theory would begin by trying the “bad” starter in a different car.

So I wanted to give an update on my issue. I went and purchased a New(not remanufactured) starter from autozone and it seems the issue is fixed. The car starts up every time. All the previous starters I bought was remanufactured. Time will only tell if the issue resurfaces.

Let us know if it comes back. I was hoping it would be something simple like that.

Couldn't really figure out how to just update this first post, however wanted to provide an update.

I am pretty sure the main reason was the fuse. The issue was intermittent because when I pulled it and did a resistance check it was actually showing that fuse had not blown. The odd part is, I removed it one more time and shook it and the filament ended up breaking. Hence why the old fuse didnt work, or was working intermittently. Seems kind of bizarre.

I did mention that I replaced the fuse, but it turns out the car wasn't starting because I also had an exhaust leak.

-Starter Replaced
-Exhaust leak from manifold to turbo gasket repaired

Thanks to all who chimed in on this issue. Much appreciated.

Solution

-Starter Replaced
-Exhaust leak from manifold to turbo gasket repaired

Thanks to all who chimed in on this issue. Much appreciated.
what fuse was bad? I'm having almost the exact same issue I've replaced the relay, and the starter still only starts intermittently.

what fuse was bad? I'm having almost the exact same issue I've replaced the relay, and the starter still only starts intermittently.

There are two main fuses for the engine on a 1G, the MPI fuse and the Ignition fuse. Both located on the positive battery terminal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back