The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1g seats in a 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iboostdoyou

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2004
Parsippany, New_Jersey
Will 1g seats fit in a 2g? I'm mostly concerned about the brackets lining up with the stock location. Even if I have to modify it a little bit, I'm just looking to see if anyone has done this successfully.

They will fit with very little modifacation but I don't remember if the 1g one's are wider of the 2g one's are. You can put 1g seats in a 2g I am pretty sure but not the other way around because the 2g seats are wider and don't fit very well.

well honestly i'm not even going to have the seats in the car. Just looking to use the brackets on the bottom of the seats. Instead of spending the $100+ on cheap aftermarket seat brackets for my aftermarket seats, just seeing if I can use the stock 1g brackets and save myself some money while most likely being safer, without mangling my stock 2g seats to get those brackets off.

Dr1665 and myself are currently attempting this. He's further ahead than me, I just got the seats out of my 1g parts car today. We have a thread over at 2gnt.com discussing it, and we'll be adding to it as we progress. He doesn't think the brackets can be modified very easily, so I think he's just going to drill new holes in the floorboard. I haven't had a chance to get too far into it yet.

well basically all I need to know is where the mounting holes line up. If it is something as simple as drilling new holes to get it to bolt onto the 2g chassis then its good to go, but most likely it doesnt seem it will be that easy. Most likely it will be uneven, if you can even get it to bolt up. Do you guys have any pics of it in place before modding it?

No pics yet, but dr1665 mentioned that he would. I hope to get something accomplished this weekend with it, and get some pics up as well.

iboostdoyou said:
bump, I know someone has tried this ?

Well, it's possible that no one ever had until recently :) 1g seats are so horrible that I can't imagine wanting to put them in a 2g. As far as re-using the seat rails for aftermarket seats, I've yet to run across aftermarket seats that didn't include rails :)

aftermarket seats come with sliders, I havent found any that have the rails with them also. I can get a set of 1g seats for free, so I figured I would see if I could just rip the brackets off and use them as the rails since my seats didnt come with them and I dont want to pay $100 for a new set of brackets. If it can't be done easy enough i'll either suck it up and waste money on the brackets, or try and find a set of 2g seats at the junkyard and take those brackets.

the 2g seats are wider...therefore the 1g brackets will not fit w/o modifications in a 2g...i tried to use 2g racing seats in a 1g and it doesnt work...

iboostdoyou said:
aftermarket seats come with sliders, I havent found any that have the rails with them also. I can get a set of 1g seats for free, so I figured I would see if I could just rip the brackets off and use them as the rails since my seats didnt come with them and I dont want to pay $100 for a new set of brackets. If it can't be done easy enough i'll either suck it up and waste money on the brackets, or try and find a set of 2g seats at the junkyard and take those brackets.

That's interesting. Guess we have different tastes in seats or something. The ones I had looked at don't re-use any of the existing hardware at all. The brackets are completely different from stock.

I was going to do a VFAQ on making brackets for aftermarket seats but haven't. Here's some pics on how I did it for a 1g. That is just 2"x0.25" rolled steel for the cross sections. If I'd done it right the first time this probably would've cost me $20.

I also pulled some of the padding out from under the carpet at the center console so the seat brackets could sit as low as possible. Sitting low is also why there is a cut-out section in the bracket in pic #2, so the clamps could still release.

Attachments

• seat bracket1.jpg
    seat bracket1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,402
  • bracket cutaway.jpg
    bracket cutaway.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 916
  • seat belt.jpg
    seat belt.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 911
1LE said:
That's interesting. Guess we have different tastes in seats or something. The ones I had looked at don't re-use any of the existing hardware at all. The brackets are completely different from stock.

well sparco's dont even come with the sliders. All that is included in the price is the seat. Sliders are an extra $55, and the bracket is an extra $69. However, I am looking into these random no name seats on ebay that include the sliders, but no bracket. Regardless, if I can reuse some stock parts I will. Very good pictures, that actually helped a good amount, thanks.

I'd skip the no-name seats on e-bay. I bought some Netami racing seats and they're too wide. I can't sit them far enough down or far enough towards the center. That's why there's no tech-article on this yet. I did everything I could and the seats still sit slightly off-center from the steering wheel, plus your head is too close to the window trim. If I'm wearing a helmet I can't lean my head to the left, it's touching the sill. :mad:

i did it in my friends car, but i also did it at the body shop i worked at so i had every tool i could think of

eclipsh said:
I'd skip the no-name seats on e-bay. I bought some Netami racing seats and they're too wide. I can't sit them far enough down or far enough towards the center. That's why there's no tech-article on this yet. I did everything I could and the seats still sit slightly off-center from the steering wheel, plus your head is too close to the window trim. If I'm wearing a helmet I can't lean my head to the left, it's touching the sill. :mad:

*cough cough* Rep Points *cough cough* ;)

I gotta ditch this crappy gray interior and I want to go with black leather, and want the safety/rigidity of the race harnesses, so race seats were pretty much what I need in order to house the harnesses safely. I really wouldnt want to put 4pt harnesses simply over the seats and have them slip off my shoulders in an accident. Any suggestions? I gotta keep the price down since 99% of my funds go to the motor :(

Yeah, pick the narrowest seat you can fit your ass into. ROFL

The seats I bought were kind of wide since I'm a large guy (not fat, just tall.) Measure how much space you have from the center of the steering wheel over to the edge of the center console/ebrake. Double that and that's how wide your seats can be. :thumb:

yea i'm not exactly the smallest guy either. 6'5" 240lbs.... your starting to scare me, and I really dont want to mess with the brackets too much so now I'm contemplating just reupholstering my stockers with black and gray leather and cutting a hole in the headrest for the harnesses... decisions decisions

Sorry man, didn't mean to scare you that much. :coy: The seats aren't that horrifically off center, just enough to be noticeable. At 6'5" you'll have problems with headroom against the window (I'm 6'4" 210.) But like I said, with a helmet on I can't move my head much...

I think you actually are better off reupholstering the stockers and cutting some holes. Go see what an upholsterer will charge you to do it. I looked at doing that myself and it looked like a real pain to do. I was also trying to see if the seat could be altered to sit lower by taking some foam out. It didn't look like that was a good option.

You might also try asking around about what seats fit best. I think Recaro's tend to be popular. Expensive, but it might be worth it.

as easy as it would be to reupholster the stockers, it just wont fit my setup. It's gonna cost way too much, and still wont have anywhere for the harnesses to go. I'm pretty big on safety so having the harnesses not held in by the seats is unacceptable. 4pt harnesses, leather reclining race seats, and a 4pt roll cage, yummmm

Stock for stock, you can't really mount the 2G rails on a 1G seat without some kind of modification like was shown above.

Like DSMxTSi said, I'm just punching a couple new holes in the floorboard and calling it good on mine. Not the prettiest install, but this isn't a show car by any means.

Bringing this up from the dead, Has anyone put 1g seats in a 2g.
I love the way 1g seats feel and want to see pics of 1g seats in 2g is anybody has done so.

Anyone know about evo seats in a 2g or 1g. Specifically the 1g. I want to pick up evo IX leather seats. But want to make sure they can fit first.

James :laser::talon:

Your biggest challenge mounting any seats in a DSM is going to be how wide the rails on the seat are. My 1g in particular had a very narrow space for seat rails compared to a lot of cars. I've looked into several options from other vehicles and haven't found a really good one yet. The last gen Celica's have some great seats but the rails are integral with the frame and are way out on the edges which means they would need some very custom mounting points and it would push them up much higher in the car due to the center hump.

Your best bet is finding an Evo and looking at how far apart the rails are mounted on the seat. See if they can be separated from the frame of the seat and use your stock rails like what I did above.

You'd likely be looking at the same thing putting 1g seats into a 2g, though frankly I think that is a step backwards but it isn't my car. I've also looked into later model WRX seats but haven't gotten a chance to measure them for fitment. RX8's also have some very nice buckets if you can find a set. Be creative and just start looking around to see what you like and get out the tape measure.

Good post Nick. Thanks a lot. I will email guys now asking the width of the rail.

James :laser::talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back