The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g rods and pistons in a 2g block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spook302

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2009
Durango, Colorado
I just bought another eclipse from the same friend I bought my 1g from. its a 2g. Its completely torn down and ready for building. I got a screaming deal along with over 6 grand in parts. But here is my deal. In a box brand new is a set of eagle rods pressed onto arias pistons. They are for a 1g. i already checked but I got confused. The big end width on these rods are 1.0380 inches, they have been cut down from the 1.1170 inches they used to be for the 1g. So they are 1g pistons on 1g rods but cut for the 2g on the bottom. All other measurements add up and equal eachother ecxept pin width wihich is fine cause the have the right pistons on them. So far that I know I can use them in the 7 bolt block with the 2g rod bearings. anyone heard of This being done? Why? and should I be ok throwing them in. They are nice pistons and have been ceramic coated and are ready to rock. i want to get this on the road asap. I need to have the block punched 20 over for these and I am going to weld the oil injectors shut on the block as well as modifying the thrust bearing and having in graphite coated.

So I made a few calls to verify what I have. all i need is 2g rod bearings and they will drop in. Its kinda weird though. I know people modify the stock 1g rods to fit in the 2gs cause it is a cheap upgrade to the wimpy stock 2g rods but why do that to aftermarket rods. They are stronger already. There was no need to buy these and then have them modded to fit the 2g when the same rods from eagle for the 2g are built the same for strength. oh well. they fit and should be no problem. Its just strange on how some people take small bits of info and make decisions like that. bassically he spent the extra cash on having these rods milled down when he could have just bought the right parts.they are mine now and I am going to use them.

New news about using these pistons and rods. I did some more research about using 1g pistons in a 7bolt. The lower comp ratio. I checked out the paperwork for these specific pistons and its 8.7.1 ratio. They are step ups for the 1g motors so I wont be dropping my comp ratio while using them. But i understand now why there is not allot of info on using this setup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back