The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1g replacement speakers...no fit??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92Fwd4Me

15+ Year Contributor
May 19, 2004
Cincinatti, Ohio
Have visited several local area car audio places looking to replace my stock 1g speakers (yeah I know....a little late), and I have gotten the same answer. None of the speakers on the market today will fit into the stock speaker housings.

Forutnatley the first guy I visited laid it out as soon as I told him a 92' Talon. He said the depth of the speakers hits the wheelwell area and I wounted be able to mount them without either cutting of fabricating.

He DID however say he was pretty sure Infinity used to (or maybe still does) sell a set that are thinner then most and sound really good. He didnt know the model or where to get them

Anyone have any history with this (I am sure a ton do) and if you had no problems sliding in some speakers, what models were they so I can look at getting them. I prefer Infinity, Pioneer's or Alpines, but really almost all on the market today are pretty good. ;)

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I assume you are talking about the rear speakers? Mine are stock so I can't comment on those, but I have a set of infinity 652i's in the front and they fit perfect.

If you want to know the depth nneded for the rears just pull the speakers and measure them.

Sorry, yeah the rear speakers.

you can just do what i and many other 1g guys did. Just take a big hammer and dent in the wheelwell area until they fit.

If I remember correctly, the Infinity Kappas fit well there. The Infinity References don't.

i put visonik 4 ways in the back of my 90' tsi. 250 watts peak, 120 rms. they're gigantic and sure as hell don't fit.

you could either get screw extensions or longer screws and have the speakers poke out a bit, or only screw in the top two and leave the bottom end sticking out. the rear speaker panels will cover the speakers and still leave room to push the pop pins back in leaving virtually no visual change. it looks fine in my car.

pretty much the same deal with the front speakers in the doors. except the screws didn't line up, but the magnet from the speakers held it in against the door. those speakers are too big and actually push the panel in some. it's not real obvious and doesn't bother me.

btw, careful pushing the pop pins back in because they'll snap in half if theres too much pressure pushing on the panel with no other pins to support it. found that out the hard way.

One way around the problem that doesn't require pounding is to put some 6.5" drivers in the back. Just make some plywood adaptors. Here's what my rears look like using some component eclipse drivers.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

By installing the driver off center you pick the the extra clearance. You also gain the thickness of the adaptor plate.

Steve

Steve

One way around the problem that doesn't require pounding is to put some 6.5" drivers in the back. Just make some plywood adaptors. Here's what my rears look like using some component eclipse drivers.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

By installing the driver off center you pick the the extra clearance. You also gain the thickness of the adaptor plate.

Steve

Steve

Very nice. I recommend this setup since you can have a deeper sound in the rear along with a nice tweeter to help out.
Did you happen to make a template or just go at it?

if you want easy, go with mine

if you want sound quality, and knowing that you didn't just half-ass it. go with steves. hah

I use Diamond d361i's 6" - no clearance issues but I did have to drill additional holes to mount them correctly. I love the sound quality of them and like I said the only modification I had to do to make them fit was drill different holes which took no time at all.

1gcrazy said:
Did you happen to make a template or just go at it?

I made a template by drawing around the outside of the original 6x9 and then holding the new speaker over the hole to see where it should go before marking that up on the template.

I used the 1/4" birch plywood found at hobby stores and a circle cutter for a drill press but yu could do the whole thing with a jig saw.

Steve

pwayzjellyroll said:
I use Diamond d361i's 6" - no clearance issues but I did have to drill additional holes to mount them correctly.
I assume you had the mounts for a 6.5" speaker in the rear rather than the mount for a 6x9". IIRC there were both types of mounts on 1G depending on which audio option the car came with.

Steve

What I did to make my Alpine Type-S 6x9's in the back take a sledge hammer and a few good smacks youll be good to go....

It's hideen behind plastic anyways so it isn't like anyone can see the dents..

Alpine Systems FTW!!!

Took off the rear panels the other week and found out that I have a pair of Blaupunkt 3-way 6x9s in back, and they fit just fine. The fronts are Kenwoods, and a little undersized with some new holes drilled in the old housing to accomodate.

When i bought my laser it had 6x9 mounts in the rear. They looked like the guy i bought it off of bought and installed them. I guess me posting this doesnt really help anyone because I've never heard of anyone that sold a 6x9 speaker mount for 1gs, just figured I'd throw it out there.

ok so just real quick, will *most* 6.5" fit fine in the front, i meanhole mounting wise??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back