1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1g Rear License Plate Light Bracket

Posted by sicktsi, Nov 16, 2009

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. sicktsi

sicktsi Proven Member

Joined Jul 12, 2009
    Hazlet, New Jersey
    I just bought a 1g rear license plate light bracket and i was wondering how to install it. Will i have to remove the whole rear bumber or not?

238  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  2. tudds2k

tudds2k Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    Anyone have an answer to this ?

Street Build 917  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. AWDPetmitsu

AWDPetmitsu Proven Member

Joined Jan 26, 2003
    ., Pennsylvania
    Yes, you'll have to remove the rear bumper. That is if you can as the nuts and bolts are probably all rusted to hell. You;ll probably have to break them all off to remove them. No easy task. I'm guessing your license plate lights are dangling? I have the same problem too and I just zip tied them to a plastic tube and slid it in the opening for now.

526  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 1G DSM
    steve likes this.
  4. Widgmaster

Widgmaster Supporting VIP

Joined Aug 24, 2018
    Sarnia, ON, Canada

43  1

2002 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

166  7

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT
    fwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  5. tk106

tk106 Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post a pic of your bracket with and without the plate. You might be able to use a thin piece of aluminum and fab up something if you don’t feel like pulling the bumper

248  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

243  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  6. tudds2k

tudds2k Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I never got notified for any of these responses. I came back to give the next person the info I couldn’t find.
    On a 1g eclipse talon laser ,
    You can install the license/remove plate bracket without removing the bumper.
    To remove it, one bolt came out perfectly. One I had to cut the head off with a dremel. The last one I tried to use a rounded nut socket and it ended up pushing it out the back of the bumper.

To install, I removed the license plate light housing from the bracket and it easily slides in between the rear bumper support and the body of the car. I stuck my arm in there to hold it and threaded the bolts. I used washers on the new bolts to prevent them from ever getting pulled through the plastic bumper.

you could also use a piece of string through the license plate light slots and pull the bracket up from the bottom if you had to.

I know removing the bumper would have been a nightmare so I’m glad it was so easy.

Attached Files:

Street Build 917  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    steve likes this.