The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G plymouth laser RS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmman91

10+ Year Contributor
May 23, 2011
Tricites, Washington
Hi i'm new here and was wondering what are some good bolt on mods for my car right off the get go. I already have a KN air filter for my car, strut bars and a new muffler. i would like some more mods but for my car and i was wondering what are some other good mods for my car and thanks for the help.

well it is the 4g63 NT motor which is good LOL being its N/T theres not a load of stuff you can do for bolt on mods maybe some headers, alittle bigger throttle body, do you have a cold air intake or just the stock type filter?

I'm pretty sure all RS models were turboed. I would do as much exhuast as you can, get a boost guage, get a 2g manifold. get hard pipe intake, get new hard pipe intercooler lines, 2g throttle body, manual boost controller set at 14 on stock fuel pump and injectors. With a properly tuned setup this could yield 300 flywheel hp.

I'm pretty sure all RS models were turboed. I would do as much exhuast as you can, get a boost guage, get a 2g manifold. get hard pipe intake, get new hard pipe intercooler lines, 2g throttle body, manual boost controller set at 14 on stock fuel pump and injectors. With a properly tuned setup this could yield 300 flywheel hp.

Your first sentence isnt true, there are 4 models of lasers. Just correcting you sir :) But yes, free up as much air as possible.

I know people dont like doing this, but i did read a magizen where they sugested to do it and watch car carefully. Anyway you can go to a junk yard and find a turbo dsm, pull the top of the engine off and put it on your 4g63. if you do it just be sure to not go past stock boost.

Installing a turbo 4g63 into an nt 4g63

type this in the forums and it will show you all the electronical stuff you need to do. Its the cheapest way to get the most out of the stock N/T 4g63 engines, but if you get the boost itch it can blow the engine. So just be carefull if you go this route. :sneaky:

Okay dam i have rs turbos so i thought LOL my bad... Least i wasn't flamed very badly for it. Now to think about it ones actually a turbo and not a rs. At least it doesn't have the same rs badging as the other laser, but for some reason was 1000 more from the factory. (Must be the block heater).

Unfortunately, you do not have a lot of options with the non-turbo 4G63 motor.

Surprised no one's posted it, but check out this site sponsored article Tech Guide: 1G 4G63 N/T Upgrades - DSMtuners

The user 9!'clipse had a N/T and did a few bolt-ons and his best 1/4 mile was 16 seconds.
The motor is good and strong and can take quite a bit of abuse, but is pretty tapped out in the configuration we have it from the factory. Add in age related parasitic loss, and you just aren't going to go that fast.

If you're just looking for a zippy daily, follow the upgrade path I posted above. This includes K&N, hard intake pipe, removed air restrictions.
Exhaust will include headers (some say they do nothing but make it louder, so it's your call) 2.5" down pipe, cat eliminating test pipe or high flow cat, into a 2.5" cat-back.
Lighten the load a little: spare tire, jack and tools (if you feel comfortable with that), A/C, and balance shaft.

Slightly wider tires would help in the twisties, you might be able to get away with 235/60 w/15" wheels. Some 215s on either 16 or 17s would probably be fine though. Doubtful that you're doing AutoX.

They did have RS in a NT form - it was the next step above a base Laser. They didn't make the difference even with the Turbo addition.

Just that the 1Ga Lasers were FWD only until the 1Gb's when they added the AWD versions.

Mine has the B16g in it since the motor came out of a Galant VR4...it gets a bit nasty even in stock form...

They did have RS in a NT form - it was the next step above a base Laser. They didn't make the difference even with the Turbo addition.

Just that the 1Ga Lasers were FWD only until the 1Gb's when they added the AWD versions.

You changed your avatar picture! Didn't even recognize you LOL

And that's correct. With the exception of the 1.8 Laser, which was the 'base' model, all 4G63 Lasers were referred to as 'RS' and had the same RS badge on the back bumper.

There was also the now rare Gold Edition package, but that was just cosmetic (wheels and extra stickers).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back