The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1g performance issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLockDsm

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2005
western, West_Virginia
I purchased a 1990 talon tsi awd 106k miles this past Sunday.Upon seeing the ad it stated that it had some issues and the kid didn't have the money to fix the car. So anyways I go to check out the car and I pop the hood check the oil and the radiator fluid looks good so I say Ok start it. The car had a very hard time starting and wouldn't take throttle but overall it sounded good and with a price tag of 1200 and all the goodies it came with(2gmaf-evo8 injectors exhaust, ecm link and the fact that the body is 85 percent flawless) I said ok cool let's do it:D . I trailer the car home and pop the hood. Well I knew it had a 2g maf installed and that obviously it had stock injectors installed since he gave me evo 8's with it :sneaky:. So I then notice one of the injectors was unplugged :ohdamn:. Well I plugged it in and started the car.. no change.. So I then did it with the others and bam the idle became even worse :hmm:. so at this point I change out the injectors with the new evo8's and bam the idle evens out :hellyeah: much better. So I pull the spark plugs and they are burnt to a crisp :banghead: Also I notice oil on top of the piston. Which I find odd since it isn't smoking at all? (except wot then its black smoke) so I go to the parts store grab a set of plugs put em in and bam no missing idles perfect .Only thing now is the car is very sluggish it will boost to only around 7psi (kind of spiky) and will only go to around 3k rpm then just like it hits a rev limiter 2second gear fine until around 3k and 3rd gear the same other than that it drives fine.. It just feels like that commercial where the guys on the interstate with a anchor attached to the back :cry::cry: Now that I can drive it I am going to take it to get the cell checked, do a boost leak check and also do a compression test as well tomorrow. I know those things will tell me allot more but I was just wondering what you guys think or if anyone has had any similar probs or anything else I am missing. Worse comes to worse Ill slap a new engine in it because I did buy it knowing it had problems and I bought it as a project car. Thanks in advanced!

Also 1 time when I was kind of easing in the throttle in second gear it"POPED" out of the sluggish ness and boosted like it should for about 2 seconds then bam back to slug mo-bile. I checked the upper i.c pipe and it had a pretty good bit of oil in it but i may be over exagerating but I stuck my fingers in it and the came out coated fairly well.

Last edited:
You said it had an ECM Link, how is the tune? Wierd running stock injectors on 2g maf.

Only thing now is the car is very sluggish it will boost to only around 7psi (kind of spiky)
sounds like turbo.

I checked the upper i.c pipe and it had a pretty good bit of oil in it but i may be over exagerating but I stuck my fingers in it and the came out coated fairly well.
definitely sounds like turbo seals.
check by the J pipe.
also get that compression test done.
"oil on top of the piston":hmm:

*UPDATE* I have NOT did a boost leak test. Wanted to get the comp test finished to determine if this enigne was worth persuing.The ecm link is not installed. however it has a brand new *with recipt* 1g ecu. I did the compression test today. Looks like a steady 98 across the board :( The instructions in the kit said the loosen every spark plug by 1 turn (except for the cylinder your cheaking of coarse) could major vacume/boost leaks cause this low of compression? O well (voice of the MASK) ITS TIME FOR AN OVERRRHAUL

Also. Since I can visually see oil on the piston rings and the comp is still very low is this a good indicator that the problem is in the head?

Last edited:
id say either valves or rings or headgasket becouse that is horribal compression. have you checked the fluids for mixing again since you bought it. it
also how are you monitering boost? on the stock gauge becouse that it is not at all accurate. you need a real boost gauge.

OK so i re did the compression test with all of the plugs out and holding WOT and cranking 10 times, here are the numbers i got from left to right 127 150 160 150. Although not the best but with those numbers the car should still perform fine right?

Another update. Did the boost leak check. Only place i could find was at the jpipe was leaking sonething horrible. fixed that leak with rtv let it dry then took it for a spin. runs fine till about 3.5k rpm then just will not go any further. low rpm the car feals like its about take off like a rocket ship and then when full boost is suppose to come on it just kinda dies.

When you changed the plugs, the cylinder that had oil on the piston was that the one with 127 compression?
Check your shaft play on your turbo. In/out up/down(should have very minimal up/down, none in/out) let us know.

Besides everything else thats been mentioned, have you checked base timing?

This. Also check mechanical timing. And those compression numbers are fine. One's a little low obviously but my old car ran out pretty well with all cylinders around 130.

I second mechanical timing. Or even just base timing. I would get a timing light to re-set base timing, check all the electrical components or possibly shoddy wiring, check for a walbro fuel pump, make sure all the settings in link are correct.. Injector size, fuel pressure, the basics.

Does the car have a boost controller? Have you hooked laptop up to get a data log off ecmlink?

Have you checked for pre-turbo exhaust leaks?

Wait so you're running evo injectors and a 2g maf with no tune? It's probably running too rich under boost causing your issues. I know this combo is "supposed" to even each other out but you need to tune it. It's also the reason for your black smoke at WOT. Black smoke is fuel.

found another boost leak on throttle body fixed it. took it for a drive car pulls good from 2k to 3 k and then it still hits a wall except now if i try to make it boost and then let off of gas the a huge cloud of smoke comes from under the engine bay.once i parked it i lifted the hood and accelerated the engine with the throttle and once i let go i seen that a puff of smoke came from the turbo.I will check timing tomorrow.
Also should i be able to move the waste gate bar on the turbo with my hand? it seems like its seized shut.

sounds like your turbos shot. take your intake off and check for shaft play. also you never said how you were monitoring boost. are you using the stock gauge or and aftermarket one.

When you changed the plugs, the cylinder that had oil on the piston was that the one with 127 compression?
Check your shaft play on your turbo. In/out up/down(should have very minimal up/down, none in/out) let us know.

Turbo seals.. Oil in the IC pipe and low to no boost and smoke? Seems about right:hmm:

Just factory boost gauge..I am going to pick up a boost gauge from the parts store tomorrow.

ok good becouse the stock boost gauge is more or less a little show that mitsubishi put on to make us feel good. its not at all acurate. it just lets you know there is air moving threw the intake.

Took the old turbo off. Its hard to spin and on the exhaust housing you can hear the blades scrape the sidewalls.

are you sure its not the backing plate thats scraping? had that happen to me once thought the turbo was done but was just a slight scrape from being open. sounds like that turbo got hot and wore the bearings right outta it.

Wait so you're running evo injectors and a 2g maf with no tune? It's probably running too rich under boost causing your issues. I know this combo is "supposed" to even each other out but you need to tune it. It's also the reason for your black smoke at WOT. Black smoke is fuel.

^this

Well today i picked up a walbro 255/ evo3 16g/bushur racing fpr/hallman mbc and a boost gauge. the afpr didnt come with a gauge can i buy one from a parts store to set the pressure?and the boost gauge was brand new and came with every thing but i dont like the line it comes with can I use use fuel hose to connect into the boost gauge or is that 1/8 inch line needed? also gonna get the ecm link installed and the car tuned after i get a fmic and a different exhaust manifold and a evo3 02 housing

Car had a bad coil. Runs great. Sending ecu off to ecm tuning this week so i can install my link. Car is tore back down as i seen some wear on the timing belt and I am doing the full recommended tuneup.(Tensioner,idler,water pump seals, etc etc ) car already has bsr kit so thats nice and also im going with some arp head studs and a new oem head gasket . Ill keep yall posted as well as post a vid once i get it dyno tuned

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back