The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1G Oil cooler lower mounting bracket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentsnow31802

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2022
California
Ive searched through the parts catalog, google, and even youtube videos and cannot figure out what the bottom of the oil cooler was mounted to.
There are obviously 2 bolt holes here but I seem to be missing the part that they attach to.
Anyone have any idea?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Solution
It is a bracket with 2 studs on it that is welded to the front crossmember.
I dont know if I've ever seen any pictures of it and I even searched the 4 service manuals, so here it is, for ALL TO SEE :thumb:
Marty (that 90s guy)

Here is a CAD (cardboard aided design) and more info on the 1990 oil cooler bracket for all you DYIers out there.
It is 5" x 3" and bend the bracket 1" from the bottom 90* for attaching to the frame. The originals are stamped steel.
Stud hole spacing, center to center is 4". This bracket is normally spot welded to the front lower crossmember but 2 self tapping screws can also hold it.
I made this a sticky for anyone looking for that bracket...
There are obviously 2 bolt holes here but I seem to be missing the part that they attach to.
Anyone have any idea?
Because '90 turbo models are the only ones that came with the external oil cooler from factory. 90 turbo models have an oil cooler mounting bracket that has 2 stud bolts that go to the bottom mounting tab in the pic you uploaded.

It is a bracket with 2 studs on it that is welded to the front crossmember.
I dont know if I've ever seen any pictures of it and I even searched the 4 service manuals, so here it is, for ALL TO SEE :thumb:
Marty (that 90s guy)

Here is a CAD (cardboard aided design) and more info on the 1990 oil cooler bracket for all you DYIers out there.
It is 5" x 3" and bend the bracket 1" from the bottom 90* for attaching to the frame. The originals are stamped steel.
Stud hole spacing, center to center is 4". This bracket is normally spot welded to the front lower crossmember but 2 self tapping screws can also hold it.
I made this a sticky for anyone looking for that bracket, with dimensions and the bend point. Add your choice of fastener at the holes at the top for your studs. They are 12mm x 1.0 nuts for reference.
If anyone needs more information just ask.
Marty (that 90 guy)

Solution
To add, the 1990 Technical Service Manual does show the bracket in the Body Section but, likely due to the fact it is welded to the lower support beam, the oil cooler mounting bracket does not have its own unique part number.

Man Brian, you are a Wizard at the parts book. I pulled out all 4 and scanned the body section really good but obviously missed it. Thanks for the diagram! I will check my Technical Service Manual (the least likely place I would have spent a lot of time in). :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back