The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G NT Power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oblivion02

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2008
Aguadilla, Florida
How much power have you guys been able to get out of a 1G NT? I purchased one, but it has no engine or tranny... So I wanted to know how much power could I expect if I rebuilt it full stock, or if I should do some modifications.

If your car is a 2.0 N/T then with a stock rebuild with good parts and royal purple oil on a manual tranny then you could have like 100 hp at the wheels. My car used to be N/T with a header straight exhaust with no cat or muffler, a ported head, long ram intake, and a turbo tranny with a six puck. The car was also stripped as much as possible it did a 14.38 on the 1/4 mile.

Your best bet for getting power out of a n/t is to turbo it. It's much more cost efficient compared to the amount of parts you would need to get the same power keeping it n/t.

But isnt the turbo conversion ALOT of hassle? Its pretty much changing EVERYTHING from a turbo car to a NT box. Am I right?

i used to have a 4g63 nt... wish i still had it. fun car.

do a rebuild and upgrade where possible. like the head, get one of those ebay valve, lifters, guide kits and port the head. i would wait on the header n stuff till you know your staying NA- that way if you decide to go turbo later on you wont waste that money. or you can doit and add a small shot fo N20.

im sure you can build and tune it for NA. but for the money you might not be happy with the results. i would build a turbo kit to run like 5-8 psi. i think with that you can get pretty close to low 14s-high13s

i used to have a 4g63 nt... wish i still had it. fun car.

do a rebuild and upgrade where possible. like the head, get one of those ebay valve, lifters, guide kits and port the head. i would wait on the header n stuff till you know your staying NA- that way if you decide to go turbo later on you wont waste that money. or you can doit and add a small shot fo N20.

im sure you can build and tune it for NA. but for the money you might not be happy with the results. i would build a turbo kit to run like 5-8 psi. i think with that you can get pretty close to low 14s-high13s

When you say "fun", what do you mean? Doesnt it run alot slower than a TURBO car?

I "might" do that... a Turbo Kit... If I see that the complete turbo conversion is too much for my pocket, I'll just try and build a turbo kit, and run small amounts of psi. Anyone had any success with this? Turbo Kits? Significant improvements? Is it still better to save my money until I can do a full turbo conversion? If I do a turbo kit, and eventually I gather the money for full turbo, do I need to do ALOT of changes or is Turbo Kit like the half step between turbo and NT?

If you are going to go and spend the time and money on a full rebuild, you are better off just going turbo. Here is a general list of what you will need, MINUS the rebuild stuff.

1. Turbo pistons. Used, new. Its doesn't matter but make sure you get the right bore size.
2. Turbo ECU. Plug and play.
3. Knock sensor. Easy to wire straight to the ECU.
4. MAS. The turbo MAS is larger. There is some wiring involved but it's straight forward.
5. Turbo components. Turbo, IC piping, intercooler, injectors, resistor pack, etc.

There are a few more things but there are also just as many resources on this website in other threads. Read through them carefully before you decide what you want to do.

Thanks for the advice TimG...

Since I'm doing a rebuild, should I go with a simple 13g or 14b turbo? Go bigger? Will putting in a bigger turbo affect the car since it was originally NT? Suggestions as to which turbo to go with?

The stock n/t block will not have oil squirters. But I have personally seen 350-400whp daily drivers beat on their cars at the raceway with n/t blocks and seen no ill affects.

Stock 5 speed turbo components (450cc injectors an 5 speed ecu) are factory-perfect with a 14b. The 14b is a great turbo and can take you to 300whp if properly supported. Or yield lightning quick spool for a sub-300 hp car but still no die up top. The 13g flows a bit more than a 2g stock t25. . . But not by much. It's better than n/t ;) but not a great turbo to bolt-on like the mighty 14b. Because, if you plan on pushing the 14b later with proper supporting fuel mods, then a simple 7cm^2 turbine housing from any 16g (you can get them used for cheap) is all you need to upgrade for a 300whp capable turbo! You should be capable of pushing the 14b compressor to the limits then.

You will surely need a fuel pump and 550 cc injetors at least, by that point. Perhaps a maf upgrade as well.

Since I have a knee problem, I have to put in an Aut. Transmission. Basically what I would need is an Engine(Prefirably Turbo), A/T, 450-550 injectors, fuel pump, 14b, M/T ECU? ANything else I should add to the list?

Since I have a knee problem, I have to put in an Aut. Transmission. Basically what I would need is an Engine(Prefirably Turbo), A/T, 450-550 injectors, fuel pump, 14b, M/T ECU? ANything else I should add to the list?

You don't need the whole engine. You just should get the turbo pistons from another 6-bolt. You already have a 6-bolt block: stronger rods, stronger/reusable headbolts. Aset of used turbo 6-bolt pistons can be had for cheap. Or you can get the stronger, slightly higher compression pistons installed after machining the rods you have.

I recommend the 6 bolt turbo pistons. You'll have to pay for the pistons and a machine shop to press out the wristpins and repress them with the 6-bolt turbo pistons. It cost me all of 100 total to convert my brothers n/t block to a boost happy block while out for a rebuild. You're going to rebuild. The rods/pistons are already out of the block. You already have stronger 6-bolt rods. All you need are some used 6-bolt turbo pistons and a shop with a proper press. You'll have a 500whp-capable shortblock at that point.

You can run the 450s and 5-speed ecu with an automatic tranny. You should really upgrade to a used 1g maf ($25 from ebay). Some straight forward wiring is required. Search. You should get a 1g knock sensor. Some straight forward wiring is required. Search this, too. Don't forget a turbo exhaust manifold, o2 housing and downpipe. Stock is fine for now. 1g exhaust manifolds are prone to crack. So you may want to fork over the $50 for a 2g exhaust manifold. You'll need the turbo exhaust gaskets, too. Turbo throttlebody and elbow, 1g intercooler/piping. . . And other stuff. All cheap used junk that we pretty much GIVE away. . . Except for the 1g BOV ;) .

1g 2.0L DSM Non-Turbo to Turbo Conversion. This is the most complete guide I've seen. It's worked for me and many others.

It's worth it since the block is out. It's easy to bolt on turbos, manifolds, throttlebodies, etc. It's also worth the $100 more for turbo pistons installed. Again everything is already apart.

The reason why I say I need the whole engine is because the NT Talon is losing his engine completely(the block, the head, everything). I might even take the air compressor, and a few other things. Its going to be pretty much an EMPTY box. I'm going to try to find another "parts" car, and try to rebuild this one (since I like the color). If I find a black 1G, or 2G, then I'm definitly junkyarding this one. I'll let you guys know my final decision. But the way things are going, I think I'll junkyard the talon. I do not have the money right now to get them both up and running. Thanks for your help anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back