The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g non turbo to turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One of your best bets are to find a 1g turbo car and take all the turbo stuff off of it. I do have alot of extra turbo parts layin around if you need. Stock 2g side mount, 1g and 2g exhaust mani's, 1g turbo ecu's, 2g mas with a wiring pig tail to hook into 1g and with filter adapter, 1g turbo oil pan, oil drain tube, some hard intercooler piping, water and oil fittings for turbo, may even have a t25 for sale too. I think i have a turbo stock fpr(dont know if diff or not)

I turboed a few 1g's in the past the easiest way i found was stock parts. all bolt right on. just run the right boost.

Like mentioned above, slapping a turbo on a non-turbo engine is not a very good idea. The non-turbo 4G63 engine have 9:1 compression cast pistons that do not like boost. The turbo 4G63 engines came with 7.8:1 cast pistons which handle boost much better. That is why it is recommended to either use a turbo block or upgrade the pistons in the non-turbo block. You might find this thread helpful if you want more into on the subject: non turbo pistons?

I did the full swap from non-turbo to turbo earlier this year. Check out my blog to see the full journey. I pulled the 6 bolt engine, transmission, ECU, and wiring harness out of a 1991 Plymouth Laser Turbo and swapped it into my 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse Non-turbo.

If you have any questions, let me know as I've done it before. Good luck!

thanks guys good help with some useful information im going to be buying internals for the engine as well just looking for the cheapest way to get a full tubro kit then as i get a better job replace the cheap ebay turbo with a good one and such..:thumb:

thanks guys good help with some useful information im going to be buying internals for the engine as well just looking for the cheapest way to get a full tubro kit then as i get a better job replace the cheap ebay turbo with a good one and such..:thumb:

The cheapest/best way would be to search the classifieds for a used 14b, a 2g manifold, o2 housing and stock oil/cooling lines. Forget ebay until you are looking for exhaust pipes or an intercooler kit.

Ill sell you everything i have to make a kit with for 400. just need a few pieces of pipe for the intercooler and a down pipe. I can poss even get you a set of 2g stock turbo pistons.

The cheapest/best way would be to search the classifieds for a used 14b, a 2g manifold, o2 housing and stock oil/cooling lines. Forget ebay until you are looking for exhaust pipes or an intercooler kit.

+1 for this or find a shell. I have been running a N/T engine in my TSi AWD without issue for over a year and 10,000 miles. Everything is stock, including the N/T motor from a 92 GS (had to install the 450 injectors as the stock 290's won't work). In fact, I do not even have an oil cooler!! But, it is not a track car either. Keep the boost at stock levels and it will run for you. It actually has about 25 more HP over stock due to the compression, and good low-end power. But, it falls off after 6000 RPM, as I am sure the boost is blowing by.

Note, the N/T motor does not have a knock-sensor, so you gotta keep the fuel at 93 octane, or it could be bad.

My parts:
1992 TSi AWD, complete car, bad motor (dropped valve, hole in piston)
Stripped N/T 6-bolt down to block, intake, head and cams.
Installed everything from the turbo motor (coolant pipe, injectors, TB, exhaust mani, turbo, exhaust)
Replaced oil feed block-off bolt with banjo bolt (tapped head for proper threading)
Filled the fluids, primed the turbo, fired it up.

10,000 miles later:
No smoke
Only lose 1/2 quart of oil every 3-4000 miles

+1 for this or find a shell. I have been running a N/T engine in my TSi AWD without issue for over a year and 10,000 miles. Everything is stock, including the N/T motor from a 92 GS (had to install the 450 injectors as the stock 290's won't work). In fact, I do not even have an oil cooler!! But, it is not a track car either. Keep the boost at stock levels and it will run for you. It actually has about 25 more HP over stock due to the compression, and good low-end power. But, it falls off after 6000 RPM, as I am sure the boost is blowing by.

Note, the N/T motor does not have a knock-sensor, so you gotta keep the fuel at 93 octane, or it could be bad.

My parts:
1992 TSi AWD, complete car, bad motor (dropped valve, hole in piston)
Stripped N/T 6-bolt down to block, intake, head and cams.
Installed everything from the turbo motor (coolant pipe, injectors, TB, exhaust mani, turbo, exhaust)
Replaced oil feed block-off bolt with banjo bolt (tapped head for proper threading)
Filled the fluids, primed the turbo, fired it up.

10,000 miles later:
No smoke
Only lose 1/2 quart of oil every 3-4000 miles

When i said to get the turbo, manifold, and lines from the classifieds, that was in addition to the forged pistons that you already said that you were going to use. I do not reccommend using the non-turbo pistons.

Also the n/t block doesn't come with a knock sensor but you can add one. If it's not alreay tapped, just tap it and add the knock sensor. There are instructions on the tech article posted above.

Also the stuff that I mentioned you should be able to get for around $200-$250 shipped from the classified it you look. I personally bought a 14b with no shaft play for $100 shipped, a 2g manifold with no cracks for $50 shipped, and a 2g o2 housing for $30 shipped a few months back. Then just add in the stock oil and coolant lines. Then all you need is the downpipe and intercooler. You should be able to get the stock intercooler for $50 or less.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back