The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g non turbo replacing CV joints

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlson61588

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2004
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Has anyone here with a 1g non turbo FWD ever replaced cv joints. I was woundering how hard it is.

CV joints or just the boots? If youre replacing just the boots you can do it two ways.
1. Cut the old ones off and buy the wrap over ones and just screw them on. These things are crap and a waste of time.

2. Take off you wheel, Pull the two retaner bolts out of the brake caliper, take that off. Disconect your tie rod, and take the retaining nut off the end off your axle. Then use a puller, or a hammer, depending on how couragous you are, to remove the axle from the hub. Then pry the other end of the axle from the transfer case. If you want to replace the joints you have to buy a new axle. If you just want to replace the boots, remove the circlip at the trans end of the axle (where the spider cv is) remove the spider (tri-bearing) and slide on your new boots. Reverse the process to reassemble. The only problems you should run across is lots of rust, escpecially when removing the axle from the hub. I strongly suggest using a puller. And lots of PB Blaster.

It is much easier and faster just to replace the axles IMO

My left front drive-axle was 'popping' around turns... I was told that it needed to be replaced so when I had the front wheels off (while doing a brake job) I replaced the drive axle as well. IMO this job was a 'cakewalk'. If you can change the brake pads on your car, then you should have no trouble at all with the axle removal/replacement.
I think the axle cost me @$75.00 (w/core) at Advance Auto and it did not reqire any special tools that I did not already have out for the brake job...

Good luck with your ride...

I did mine this weekend with one of my friends that works for honda and we did it in 1 hour and 44 min. THe only tools that we really needed was impact wrenchs but we could of done it without it. If u have a M/T make sure that you get 80w-90 fluid and it is NOT GL5. Cause GL5 will ruin your synchros. Dont know why buth thats what Misu. told me

-Carlson

If you've got one CV axle going bad, it's a good idea to go ahead and bite the bullet replacing both of them. If you don't, you'll get premature wear on the new half-shaft from the old one on the other side, and might end up doing the job again sooner than you want.
Do it right, or do it again.

Edit:
On another note, it's a good idea to go to Mitsu and get a set of differential seals to replace the ones currently in the differential housing. Those seals are old and may not seal properly with new half-shafts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back