The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 1G N/T Galant MAF 7 Pin Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmp1516

Proven Member
Aug 2, 2021
Quezon City, Asia
So my 1G MAF finally gave up on me and I'm planning to convert to a 2G MAF (449 or 455 JDM equivalent) but I'm having trouble identifying the wiring diagram of the 1G MAF.

Basically I've got the top pins sorted (Pin 1-4) but on the lower half is where I'm getting confused, pin 5 doesn't exist yet the tutorials that I have looked into so far says that pin 5 is for the Barometric Pressure. Here is a pic of my MAF and it's pins including the pinouts from Prostreetonline.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I can't identify the pinouts starting from Pin 5 so I have no idea which is which below there, can anyone help a brother out?

I'm assuming your existing 1G harness matches your 1G MAF - that is, it is an 8-position, 7-wire harness connector? If so, perhaps the wiring matches the 1G turbo MAF wiring?

Refer to and compare against the pinouts for both 1G N/T and 1G T MAFs here: 1G - The 1990 Engine Control Wiring Harness A-36 Air Flow Sensor

Also be aware that the wire for pin 1 of the turbo MAF has a different destination for 1990 vehicles (goes to ECU pin 14) compared to 1991-1994 vehicles (goes to ECU pin 6). It may be wise to double-check at your ECU to see if the color of pin 1 at the MAF matches ECU pin 6 or pin 14. Here's a couple helpful, related threads:

I'm assuming your existing 1G harness matches your 1G MAF - that is, it is an 8-position, 7-wire harness connector? If so, perhaps the wiring matches the 1G turbo MAF wiring?

Refer to and compare against the pinouts for both 1G N/T and 1G T MAFs here: 1G - The 1990 Engine Control Wiring Harness A-36 Air Flow Sensor

Also be aware that the wire for pin 1 of the turbo MAF has a different destination for 1990 vehicles (goes to ECU pin 14) compared to 1991-1994 vehicles (goes to ECU pin 6).
The first one is correct, yes it's a 8-position, 7-wire harness connector, however based on the wirings diagrams of Prostreetonline and Vfaq, they're quite different.

See photo:

And if it might help, my 1G MAF has the code E5T01971

Can you verify whether your wiring at the MAF matches the turbo wiring or not from the links I posted? If so, then you'd treat this situation as if you have a turbo MAF and wire the 2G MAF in to match the turbo wiring.

Can you verify whether your wiring at the MAF matches the turbo wiring or not from the links I posted? If so, then you'd treat this situation as if you have a turbo MAF and wire the 2G MAF in to match the turbo wiring.
Hmmm it's starting to make sense that my MAF and connector is in fact a turbo one, I'm kind of in denial here since my Galant and every other one in the Philippines uses the 8 pin although every single one is NT. Why would Mitsubishi use an 8 pin MAF for the locally released NT Galant here?

I don't know anything about Philippines Galant. But that MAF sensor is from the mid 80s and from different car, like older generation than the Non turbo DSM MAF sensor. We even don't know what ECU your car actually has. Maybe you don't have the same ECU as 1G DSM/JDM Galant with 4g63 since it has a different MAF sensor. You should confirm that first. And then should trace all wires from the MAF sensor connector to ECU to verify which is which.

I have no idea, unfortunately.
Still, huge thanks for making me realize and see that I have a different MAF from an NT!

I don't know anything about Philippines Galant. But that MAF sensor is from the mid 80s and from different car, like older generation than the Non turbo DSM MAF sensor. We even don't know what ECU your car actually has. Maybe you don't have the same ECU as 1G DSM/JDM Galant with 4g63 since it has a different MAF sensor. You should confirm that first. And then should trace all wires from the MAF sensor connector to ECU to verify which is which.
Did a little digging about the local Galant here, they came with the ECU MD166254 E2T37279 6254. More info is that these are 6 bolter 4G63. Also the 6 pin MAF NT in the Philippines are only used by non-4G63 engines such as the 4G15 EFI and 4G63 MPI SOHC version, weird.

Sounds like there is some difference in the Philippines. But now you know what ECU you actually have. So doesn't really matter which MAF pinout you have. Just trace the wires between the MAF sensor connector and ECU. You would be able to determine which pin is which.

Sounds like there is some difference in the Philippines. But now you know what ECU you actually have. So doesn't really matter which MAF pinout you have. Just trace the wires between the MAF sensor connector and ECU. You would be able to determine which pin is which.
Right on, cleared a bunch of confusion about my MAF problem. Thanks a lot for the help!

Update: Did the conversion, basically the local NT version here uses the same pinouts to the turbo version and a turbo MAF, but minus pin 1 which is the idle position switch.

Runs smooth as hell, (don't mind the wirings LOL I labeled 'em so I won't get confused, cleaned it up afterwards).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back