The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1g manual - stalling randomly CAS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My engine has been doing this shutting off thing for about a year now, but only after the engine has warmed up. Initially, all the gauges would shut off, too. Before today, I replaced the fuel pump, the MPI relay, the ignition coil and power transistor, and the spark plugs and the plug wires (I had various reasons for suspecting each of these components).Still, it would shut off consistently whether idling or under load after warming up.
I taped a cell phone to the hood hold up rod and took a video at idle of the fuel pressure gauge I have on the fpr with an induction timing light pointed at it and managed to see that the ignition spark cut out about a second or so before the fuel pressure dropped out - I also collected a log of the event (attached, see about 136 seconds) and noticed that the ignition timing would normally fluctuate 1-2deg every 100-200 milliseconds but it froze at 17deg for about 600 milliseconds right before the shut off. I replaced the CAS today, then warmed up the engine and let it idle for about 20+ minutes and it didn't shut off. I went back out a few hours later and warmed it up again and let it idle for another 15 minutes or so; it still didn't shut off.
I notice in your log that your timing remains completely static for significant (relative to mine) periods of time - often for a full second or more. Does anyone know if this is normal?
This has been a very frustrating issue for me; I hope you figure it out - best of luck!

Update 28JAN2021 I have driven several hundred miles under various temperature and load conditions since replacing the CAS. Not only is my engine not shutting off once reaching operating temp as it had been doing, I've noticed a distinct lack of the occasional\random mid-throttle faltering\hesitation that I had apparently gotten used to over the years of gradual decline in performance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back