The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G maf vs 2G maf

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butcha

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2011
carlsbad, New_Mexico
Do i need to upgrade to a 2G MAF in order to turn my boost up past 16 psi in my 1G? If so, do where can I get a 1G-2G wiring conversion?

You'll have to make one yourself more than likely.

Here's a wiring diagram:
2G MAF in a 1G TEL/GVR4

As far as it being necessary for turning your boost past 16 psi I can't tell you for sure. Are you running the stock 14b? Stock injectors?

Here's the sitch: 1G MAFs, as us 1G owners know, pretty much suck. With that said, they can hold up to 350hp. 2G MAFs flow 29% better then a 1G's, which causes the AFRs to run LEAN. To fix this, a set of 550's, 22% more flow, causing RICHER condition over the stock 450's. This, with a tune, will have your car running better and ready for about 450hp.

To answer your original question, no, you do not need a 2G MAF to run over 15psi. Before worrying about the MAF, first upgrade your fuel pump if you haven't done so. 190lph is a great pump (had one on my GS-T) and will allow you to run 15psi (not sure the max on that pump though). Are you on the stock Turbo? If so, consider a Small 16G, as its an overall better Turbo (max is about 22psi) as well as upgraded injectors (550's at least), as you can run into leaner conditions with the S16G since it flows more. I had stock injectors on my 1G with a S16G and never ran over 14psi.

I hit fuel cut with a small 16g on 1g maf with 390 injectors..Upgraded to 450's and lowered fuel pressure and have not hit cut yet..Also been thinking about putting on my 2g maf but don't want to run lean..

Never mind what you MAY be able to get away with...
Regardless the 1g Maf is crap He's a perfect example below of how badly they do. From a car I started to tune with a 1g maf needless to say It ended up with a 2g maf on it after this...
Notice when the Maf signal starts to break up then AFR spike before Maf clamp saves the day.

1g Mafs belong in garbage. Hell IMO All Mafs Period all belong there. ;)

If you have a way to tune using Either a 1g maf or 2g.
Id say 2g all the way just remember when using a SAFC to tune that when your reducing your Airflow signal that you want to retard Ignition Timing as well.:thumb:

Attachments

• 1g Maf.jpg
    1g Maf.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I am running a walbro 255, rc 550, small 16 g, 3" turbo back, tuning with a safcII and a wideband, and a fpr set at 43 psi. my problem is at 16 psi, roughly 5500 rpm, my car will buck and back fire. and feels like it hits fuel cut.

Thanks for the input guys. I am running a walbro 255, rc 550, small 16 g, 3" turbo back, tuning with a safcII and a wideband, and a fpr set at 43 psi. my problem is at 16 psi, roughly 5500 rpm, my car will buck and back fire. and feels like it hits fuel cut.

Whats your plug gap?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back