The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 1g lock up converter or not? ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Every time i try and read on this subject i find people swearing to both sides, as in yes the 1g has a lock up coverter, and no it doesn't. .

So my question is can someone say definitively one way or the other. .. if its not a locking converter, then where does over drive come from??

I just bought a complete donor car and am about to swap to auto and I'm trying to learn as much as i can.

Going to pull my TCU tomorrow and see if it's EEPROM so i can flash it, I'm going a little over board as i plan to retain every single write, light, and function of the auto install right down to the dome light temp warning and the shifter lock out on the brake pedal. ..

This donor car has been great so far, it's had everything i need to get my cruise control, rear defroster and every other little annoyance fixed.

Since I'm pulling the dash to swap since mines cracked, that's when i decided I'd go ahead and keep every possible feature associated with the auto setup. ..i just how i like it afterwards and done have to swap the 5 speef stiff back in to enjoy myself.

The 1G is a non-lock converter, the 2Gs are the lock type. The 2g transmission have an extra solenoid for lock up feature. It was engineered that way for better fuel economy. It is a clutch inside the converter that is the difference between 1g and 2g converters.

Let me explain this since this is not exactly accurate.

1G turbo (fwd or awd) do not have a lock up converter. Period. However,

1G fwd nonturbo transmissions have an extra solenoid for the damper clutch control valve. This is a form of a locking converter. It only engages the DCCSV at operating temperature and certain driving conditions. This is why 1.8l Auto dsms can get 28-31 hwy mpg. On mine with the DCCSV engaged is at 2900rpm @ 80mph.

This is the confusion over and over. Read the service manual for more information if your that interested.

I thought the DCCVS was responsible for the firmness of shifts? Hence the blue wire mod, or in a simple example when wiring up shifting via the kiggly mod and leaving the blue wire disconnected (one to DCCVS) shifrs are full firm.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back