The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 1g Just put car back together went to start and it’s knocking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breadvans

Proven Member
May 16, 2021
Harrisburg, Oregon
Old engine had crank walk so i swapped in a new 6 bolt. Just went to start and it’s knocking. Am i missing something? Pre- detonation? Or far worse?

Doesn’t the plate also hold it in place? So how would i go about making sure the starter is in the correct place with washers
No it doesn't. The bolts go through the transmission into the starter. What they're saying is to simulate it with washers. You still didn't answer my question. Is there a plate at all?
The sucky part is you have to do a full transmission pull to install a new plate. The bolts that hold it on are behind the flywheel. If you have any sort of spacer plate behind the flywheel I'm wondering if thats your problem given you said it doesn't have a starter hole. I can't think of any reason somebody would remove that piece. Did it fit over the dowels? Bolt on to the block correctly? Details please.

No it doesn't. The bolts go through the transmission into the starter. What they're saying is to simulate it with washers. You still didn't answer my question. Is there a plate at all?
The sucky part is you have to do a full transmission pull to install a new plate. The bolts that hold it on are behind the flywheel. If you have any sort of spacer plate behind the flywheel I'm wondering if thats your problem given you said it doesn't have a starter hole. I can't think of any reason somebody would remove that piece. Did it fit over the dowels? Bolt on to the block correctly? Details please.
Yes there is a plate but it doesn’t go to the starter . It’s in between the flywheel and block. But unlike an actual starter plate the part for the starter just is gone. Yes it fit over the dowels and bolted on to the block correctly. Just doesn’t space the starter from the flywheel. Kinda hard to explain when i can’t find any pics anywhere online

well, we posted the extreme psi link/pic. If somebody just cut the starter part off I would space the starter first and see what happens. Easy and quick to do.

And he got what he was saying about the washers to simulate the space the starter plate would have put in between the starter and flywheel, but i was reading about it on another forum and someone said without the starter plate there’s 3mm of play so that’s why i asked if the starter plate also holds it in place

well, we posted the extreme psi link/pic. If somebody just cut the starter part off I would space the starter first and see what happens. Easy and quick to do.
Fair I’ll see if i got any washers laying around. Anybody got a recommended thickness i should try and achieve? Or just a washer on each bolt and see the difference?

Fair I’ll see if i got any washers laying around. Anybody got a recommended thickness i should try and achieve? Or just a washer on each bolt and see the difference?
Probably as close as you can get to the plate as that's the thickness you're trying to shim. I assume the starter is sitting right up against the trans right now. The only reason I can think of for somebody to do what tjey did is they had the wrong plate awd vs fwd etc etc so they just made it work. Potential common error when swapping motors etc.

Probably as close as you can get to the plate as that's the thickness you're trying to shim. I assume the starter is sitting right up against the trans right now. The only reason I can think of for somebody to do what tjey did is they had the wrong plate awd vs fwd etc etc so they just made it work. Potential common error when swapping motors etc.
I guess so but i was told it’s the stock motor, but i guess that wasn’t true. The only thing I’ve heard about thickness is the starter plate is 2 mm thick, start with that?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back