The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink 1G Issues with idle and sputtering trying to make a pull

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted92rs

Proven Member
Apr 26, 2022
Granville Summit, Pennsylvania
92 laser awd manual, stock motor a few small bolt ons nothing major my car is posted with all the info. Car idles fine but when I give it throttle and let off it will drop below idle come back up and drop back to idle and or die. Also if im just cruising everything is fine, i shift everything is fine but when I try to make a pull it starts to spit and sputter. If I let off the throttle some and not pulling vacuum its fine. Just trying to find the issue here or a start to where to look. I have taken starting fluid and went around TB and vac lines with nothing showing a vac leak (no higher rpm’s). New to ECM link and logging but heres a pic of when it was sputtering. Any help is appreciated

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Do you not have any AFR measurement? If so, come back when you do. This is going to be spark or fuel and the spark looks reasonable to me. You can't reasonably diagnose fuel issues without being able to measure it.

And then to contradict that, you open the throttle significantly but don't see any meaningful increase in airflow about 20% into the log. If you're running MAF, is it okay?

Load the link file like a picture so we can look at the information in Link. Find your file, click on "Add Photos" here on your thread and load your file.
Have you done a boost leak check? It is one of the 1st things to tackle, get rid of any boost leaks, along with normal maintenance such as the timing belt/water pump every 60K.
We can try to help you out with a good log.

Do you not have any AFR measurement? If so, come back when you do. This is going to be spark or fuel and the spark looks reasonable to me. You can't reasonably diagnose fuel issues without being able to measure it.

And then to contradict that, you open the throttle significantly but don't see any meaningful increase in airflow about 20% into the log. If you're running MAF, is it okay?
I do not at this time didnt think I needed one since it was basically stock. I plan to pull pump and check for leaks on hanger side, running the stock maf which I did clean it all out about a month ago.

Load the link file like a picture so we can look at the information in Link. Find your file, click on "Add Photos" here on your thread and load your file.
Have you done a boost leak check? It is one of the 1st things to tackle, get rid of any boost leaks, along with normal maintenance such as the timing belt/water pump every 60K.
We can try to help you out with a good log.
Ok I definitely will here directly. One thing I havent done yet which I know is usually one if the biggest issues (just need to buy the stuff to make one) . Motor has been taken apart and checked with all brand new gaskets, all new timing components including water pump and oil pump.

Looking around I seen alot of members liked the plx m-250 or 300 wideband which theres a newer version out now what would you recommend that would work best with ecm link?

Innovate LC-2 plays well with Link

Random question. Is your stock FPR in good condition? I believe if you pull the vacuum line and it's wet with gas your regulator diaphragm is bad.

I took a quick look at your log. It is very minimal in data but I did spot something. Add some rpms in the "Coasting FC Offset". Mine is at 190, try 150. I think that will keep it from dropping too low and dying and increase your idle speed to 800 or 825 instead of 750 if you have any mods. That may also keep her from going to low and dying instead of catching it and idling. After entering that, go to the bottom of that page and "Save all to ECU" and see if it helps.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Stock injectors? Stock 1g MAF?
TPS needs adjusted to .63v at idle and 5V at WOT.
Front O2 isn't cycling much and you're not logging fuel trims
Uncheck "disable airflow smoothing" under MAF comp & Misc
I would also log & display the following
ISCposition
STFT
LTFT Lo
CombinedFT
WBFactor
Battery
ECUBoost
MAFraw

It's stuck in openloop for some reason when it shouldn't be.

There isn't enough info being logged to really know what's going on. Can't really do much with a WB.

There are quit a few threads on how to tune a MAF car.

Last edited:
ISCposition
STFT
LTFT Lo
CombinedFT
WBFactor
Battery
ECUBoost
MAFraw

There isn't enough info being logged to really know what's going on. Can't really do much with a WB.

There are quit a few threads on how to tune a MAF car.I wasnt trying to tune it really more less just trying to figure out the 2 issues I had it labeled general for that reason I thought. Im new to ecm link and been trying figure out how to add things without messing anything up.
Random question. Is your stock FPR in good condition? I believe if you pull the vacuum line and it's wet with gas your regulator diaphragm is bad.
Checked it quick and didnt see where the vac line was wet inside the line. Didnt feel any wetness either where it slip on.

ISCposition
STFT
LTFT Lo
CombinedFT
WBFactor
Battery
ECUBoost
MAFraw

There are quit a few threads on how to tune a MAF car.
Stock Injectors stock maf as well.

Thanks for the input ive been trying to search different things on here but some links are broken and the ecm website videos on how to’s dont open.

Wasn’t necessarily trying to tune it but rather to just get it running in decent shape before I go any farther. Thanks for all of this info though!!

Stock Injectors stock maf as well.

Thanks for the input ive been trying to search different things on here but some links are broken and the ecm website videos on how to’s dont open.

Wasn’t necessarily trying to tune it but rather to just get it running in decent shape before I go any farther. Thanks for all of this info though!!
It’s unfortunate links demo videos are no longer available. Search jafromobile tuning 101 on YT. He has a few great videos I feel everyone new to tuning should watch especially getting the car ready BEFORE actually starting to tune.

I’d like to see the fuel trims. Can post another log after you fix the tps and display fuel trims?

It’s unfortunate links demo videos are no longer available. Search jafromobile tuning 101 on YT. He has a few great videos I feel everyone new to tuning should watch especially getting the car ready BEFORE actually starting to tune.

I’d like to see the fuel trims. Can post another log after you fix the tps and display fuel trims?
Awesome yes!!! will do that now then thank you sir.

Jafromobiles’ videos on YT are PHENOMENAL!

Have you put any values into the coasting offset yet?

Have you put any values into the coasting offset yet?
No sir I have not had a chance yet with work and the fam, I did do a compression test real quick the other day just to see and got stuff for a boost leak tester, hoping to be able to do something tomorrow. I have been watching the tom laird videos on ecm link and stuff though LOL

So went to hook the laptop to the car yesterday to set the tps and other settings checked my com port everything like I did before and now it wont connect just comes up “no response received”. I went through the help tab and double checked everything still wouldnt work, so I uninstalled ecm link. Went online downloaded it all again and still it wouldnt connect keep getting the same message.

With vacation and the car in the shop for suspension I havent gotten back to this yet, but I did change my valve cover other one was cracked and I did regap my plugs. It doesnt sputter anymore and pulls amazing. I have made my boost leak tester but waiting till its out of the shop before I can do it. Will update on this as soon as I can.

With vacation and the car in the shop for suspension I havent gotten back to this yet, but I did change my valve cover other one was cracked and I did regap my plugs. It doesnt sputter anymore and pulls amazing. I have made my boost leak tester but waiting till its out of the shop before I can do it. Will update on this as soon as I can.
Have you figured out why it’s not communicating?

So went to hook the laptop to the car yesterday to set the tps and other settings checked my com port everything like I did before and now it wont connect just comes up “no response received”. I went through the help tab and double checked everything still wouldnt work, so I uninstalled ecm link. Went online downloaded it all again and still it wouldnt connect keep getting the same message.
I was getting that issue regularly until I realized ECMlink just wants to be connected properly. And by properly this is how it goes:

Hook up cable to OBD port.
Turn key to ON
Start up ECMLink
Hook USB cable to Laptop (wait for USB sound to go off)
Press CONNECT in ECMlink.
Good idea to always use the same USB port on your laptop, Windows has a weird fetish for remembering certain ports for certain cables.

This way it always connects and I've tried doing it in different order andd I got the error way more regularly. It also helps to have the engine OFF when connecting for the first time. Hope this helps.

P.S Sometimes when your laptop battery is low and you're recording a very long log with many values and loggables, ECMlink will start to lag and may lose connection while you're driving. Everything freezes and you need to restart the software.

I was getting that issue regularly until I realized ECMlink just wants to be connected properly. And by properly this is how it goes:

Turn key to ON
Start up ECMLink
Good idea to always use the same USB port on your laptop, Windows has a weird fetish for remembering certain ports for certain cables.

This way it always connects and I've tried doing it in different order andd I got the error way more regularly. It also helps to have the engine OFF when connecting for the first time. Hope this helps.

P.S Sometimes when your laptop battery is low and you're recording a very long log with many values and loggables, ECMlink will start to lag and may lose connection while you're driving. Everything freezes and you need to restart the software.
Ill have to try this I tried most anything and was starting to get annoyed like you just worked fine 2 days ago wth LOL

Turn key to ON
Start up ECMLink

Thinking about it I was in a hurry/excited the first time im pretty sure my car was running when I first plugged in to it. What problems does that bring to it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back