The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1g hx35 stock block (6 bolt) w/2g head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

636chris

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2009
philadelphia, Pennsylvania
whats up guys . i was wondering if i run a 2g head on my six bolt with my 7 blade hx35 ,what type of spool i would be looking at with stock cams ,stock intake manifold , with a tubular t3 exhaust manifold in the stock housing? what about different cams like k272's. does anyone have a similar set up. ill be tuning on jackal sd or link not too sure yet. hoping to put the car together in the next few weeks . im currently in machine shop now in school so i may do some porting but lets leave that out of the equation

The chance that you're going to find someone with your exact setup who can give you an idea of spool is slim to none; not to mention two identical setups can have varying spool simply by changing the tune. That in mind, guessing spool is as pointless as guessing horsepower.

I get what your saying but hypithectically speaking wouldn't the bump in compression with the 2g head give slightly better spool , if everything else Falls in order . Example the tune

Any gain or loss in compression can influence spool times

Ive got a 6bolt bottom, 2g head, 272s, hx 35 7blade and love it. Zero port work feels like a b16g response wise but after 5k its a whole diffrent beast. Thats the bolt on housing btw... You will have no regrets with the 2g head.... Dont port it !!!
Proper oil feed and drain helped massively as far as spool is concerned. I saw about a 200rpm change reducing my feed restrictor to.066 from the .078 recomended. Pressure is low limit of holsets recomendations.

Thanks for the response. Exactly what I was looking for. Do you have balence shafts ? Also what size is you feed and drain. Right now ill have a six bolt bottom end,2g head with arps , oem composite gasket. I'm keeping the balence shafts as of now, which may change because my motor is out. Ill be using 90 turbo cams until I can afford dk272's or dk274's.

No bs. -4 reduced to.066 feed -12 return. The head means almost nothing compression wise... I chose it for the difference in volumetric efficiency. Much more responsive off/building boost

Ok cool that's what I was looking for . My set up is similar only I'm running an open t3 housing unless a deal pops up on a bep but not likely due to ill be needing a new exhaust and downpipe set up going bolt on

I have a stock 6 bolt longblock with a bep housing hx35
I reach full boost by 3500 (26psi) just to give you an idea .

Any gain or loss in compression can influence spool times

I'm not disagreeing. But I think the CR ratio affect on spool is negligible between 1g and 2g heads. Most of your increased spool characteristics are going to come from the better flow design of the 2g intake and exhaust ports.

i ment open t3 manifold w/stock 8 blade hx35 housing . to add to my above post

Compression doesnt have much effect on spool. I've run the same setup on 7.8:1, 8.3:1, and 9:1. Actual logs show about the same psi, at the same rpm. Actually, the 8.3:1 setup spools fastest because of a better tune.
What happens with higher compression is that the engine will go from no boost to full boost in a faster time, but the rpm that boost comes on is the same. This is possible because the higher compression engine makes more off boost power, and more power at the same boost.

So, a 3000-5000 rpm pull on a high compression engine may take 3 seconds, and full boost occurs at 4200 rpms. Now on a lower compression engine of the same displacement the same pull may take 3.5 seconds, and still reach full boost at 4200 rpms. Spool is unchanged, but perception of spool is changed by making more power.

Compression doesnt have much effect on spool. I've run the same setup on 7.8:1, 8.3:1, and 9:1. Actual logs show about the same psi, at the same rpm. Actually, the 8.3:1 setup spools fastest because of a better tune.
What happens with higher compression is that the engine will go from no boost to full boost in a faster time, but the rpm that boost comes on is the same. This is possible because the higher compression engine makes more off boost power, and more power at the same boost.

So, a 3000-5000 rpm pull on a high compression engine may take 3 seconds, and full boost occurs at 4200 rpms. Now on a lower compression engine of the same displacement the same pull may take 3.5 seconds, and still reach full boost at 4200 rpms. Spool is unchanged, but perception of spool is changed by making more power.

Correct.

Higher compression actually wastes less heat/energy into the exhaust gas to light the turbine with.

But because it creates more torque, you reach the rpm of your boost threshold faster, and can make that negligible.

I had no more problems spooling mid frame turbos on a tired 120k mile 7.8:1 bottom end then I did on any of the motors since then.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back