The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved 1G - How to Remove ball joint from hatch struts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowmanFD

Proven Member
Dec 11, 2021
North Seattle, Washington
Im trying to replace the struts for my hatch and i cant seem to get the old ones off the ball joint anyone know how to?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I've done this job twice. Both replacements came with the 2 bolt bracket attached, so no need to separate the pieces. Maybe on an OEM strut they come off but for possibly every 1G in existence, those have been discarded two decades ago as they fail quickly and people went with aftermarket units which do not separate.

The replacements should be direct, bolt-on replacements.
The bottom 2 pics are the new one

I've done this job twice. Both replacements came with the 2 bolt bracket attached, so no need to separate the pieces. Maybe on an OEM strut they come off but for possibly every 1G in existence, those have been discarded two decades ago as they fail quickly and people went with aftermarket units which do not separate.
I got these from orileys, where do you reccomend i buy them?

Whats on the other end? The empty hole you show should go on the hatch side. The other side has the bracket. Show us the whole new strut. Both ends.

This is the new one, both sides and the label 👍

What part number did they give you? Sounds like they gave you the wrong ones. I've replaced quite a few of these with various brands and all of them have come with brackets like your originals.

I didn't actually get a part number, i walked up to the counter in orileys and asked for hatch struts for a 90 eclipse. Funny thing is i called the day before to order them and when i asked about install they said all you need is a screw driver. Sidenote: the length is exactly the same as the old ones

You can buy these replacement style assuming you have already purchased a set that comes with newer brackets which have a standard ball mount. For your case, you need to return those and purchase a set with brackets. RockAuto shows a good example of this if you look at what they offer.

You can buy these replacement style assuming you have already purchased a set that comes with newer brackets which have a standard ball mount. For your case, you need to return those and purchase a set with brackets. RockAuto shows a good example of this if you look at what they offer.
Alright, thanks for the help everyone!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back