1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G GST to GSX swap?

Posted by DCGuerrette89, Oct 24, 2011

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. DCGuerrette89

DCGuerrette89 Proven Member

Joined Aug 24, 2011
    Terryville, Connecticut
    i think this has been asked before but i cant find anything to help me.:confused: i have a 1990 GST and i want to make it a GSX i was woundering how hard it would be to do the swap. i was looking for a GSX orginaly but then i was offered at GST for my mazda mx3 so i jumped on it :thumb: but if i can i would like to make it a GSX.

2. Boostinsideways

Boostinsideways Proven Member

Joined Feb 4, 2011
    Arab, Alabama
    Just sell it and get an awd or a 2g. Its not feasible to do in a 1g fwd. Next time try www.google.com and "1g DSM + whateveretardedthingyoucantbotherddtogooglefirst"

622  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  3. kcs

kcs Probationary Member

Joined Apr 21, 2011
    Yuma, Colorado
  4. 9!'clipseDOHC

9!'clipseDOHC Moderator

Joined Aug 24, 2003
    El Paso, Texas
    ^ That is a 2g which is an entirely different animal. 1G's and 2G's are very different in this regard.

Is it possible on a 1g? Yes.
    Is it feasible? No.
    Is it doable by 95% of DSMers? No.
    Should you attempt it? Probably not.

Street Build 3K  33

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.102 @ 111.220 · 1G DSM
  5. 95AWD6Bolt

95AWD6Bolt Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2006
    South Jersey, New Jersey
    If you have to ask, no. Its cheaper and easier to buy a gsx.

Its also spelled "wondering"

6. DCGuerrette89

DCGuerrette89 Proven Member

Joined Aug 24, 2011
    Terryville, Connecticut
    thank you guys im gonna look around for a gsx

7. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    As stated the 2g is a bolt on affair with minor fabrication, the 1g will require you to swap over the inner fenderwells, trunk pan, floor under the rear seat, and the frame rails from the awd car. Just pick up a cheap awd, or buy a shell and put your motor in it.

8. Don Lang

Don Lang Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2008
    Auburn, California
    I agree sell it and buy an awd.

178  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  9. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    I've done it. Its a lot of work. I suggest keeping the fwd, getting a quaife, and a set of slicks for the track. AWD's are a pain in the ass. With the majority of them over 100k miles, they need an entire drive line rebuild, that cost more than the car is worth.

A fwd, on the otherhand, you can spend $1500 at tre and have a solid trans and a solid driveline. Not to mention hp for hp, a slicked up fwd is just as fast as a street tire AWD

All of what you said is wrong. Every Single Bit.

No sheet metal other than the trunk floor need to be swapped, you just need to add in a few pieces. A quick look at the FSM could tell you that. Besides that I have done it.

You have several options for the rear end. You could find a front end hit 1G AWD, and cut out the cross member mounts, rear driveshaft mounts, and trunk floor.

Or you can make your own. I made a new cross member that welded into the rear framerails, and the floor pan. The rear subframe mounts are all ready there. Then you need to make the trunk flat, I just cut the spare tire well out and made a new trunk floor.

Finally you could cut the fuel tank mounts out an AWD and weld them in, or make your own, or put a fuel cell in the trunk. I made my own.

Same goes for the rear drive shaft mount, I just took some crude measurements and made my own.

You will want to cut the front driveshaft mounts from an AWD and weld them in, along with the very front cross memeber mounts.

Then you will need to swap in the front cross member, spindles, and steering half shaft from an AWD.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

Showcar Build 6K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  10. Echo5Zulu

Echo5Zulu Proven Member

Joined Jan 21, 2005
    Holland, Michigan
    Did you ever post any pics of your masterpiece anywhere? How about a write up with pics? ;-)

232  1

1993 Eagle Talon N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM