The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G GM MAFT Install.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all,
I thought I'd throw this out on the list in case someone is looking to do this mod.

First off, here are the parts needed to set up the GM MAFT in blow through config.

* 1- 3" GM MAF from Ebay ----------------------------------- $35
* 2- 2.25" t bolt clamps --------------------------------------- $8
* 2- 3" silicone clamps ---------------------------------------- $10
* 1- 1G MAFT -------------------------------------------------- $199
* 1- GM MAFT 6ft extension harness ------------------------- $20
* 2- 2.5"->3.0" Silicone reducers ---------------------------- $20/reducer
* 4- 650cc injectors from SBR -------------------------------- $330
* EGT Gauge --------------------------------------------------- ???
* Logging software -------------------------------------------- ???

I decided to run the MAFT in blow through config so I can use a VPC intake pipe instead of the accordion POS. Doing this also allows you to retain your car's driveability in the event that an intercooler pipe blows off. Oh, and I can vent the BOV now.. That's a little bonus for the ricer in me.

Procedure:

First, I got the silicone couplings attached to the GM MAF. What a pain in the ass. Unless you are masochistic by nature, this sucks. It took my brother and I about 1 1/2 hours to get these suckers on. We ended up using a bastard file to slightly remove a little material from the outside lip of the MAS. Once the reducers were in place, I clamped them down and set the assembly aside.

Next, I measured my beautiful Buschur upper IC pipe to see how much I would need to cut off to accomodate the GM MAF and couplings. I wanted to install the GM MAF directly to the TB elbow so I only took 3.75" off of the upper IC pipe. A dremel with a cutting wheel, vice and hacksaw made quick work of that. Once cut, I test fitted the GM MAF assembly on the pipe. Clearance was a bit of an issue so the MAF sits upside down at a bit of an angle. According the Mike Licht, you can orient the MAF however you want, as long as you have the air flow going in the proper direction (DUH).. Once happy with the fit, I took the upper IC pipe back off and sanded/filed the edges to make sure the pipe does not cut into the silicone reducers.

After getting the MAF fit properly, I installed the 650cc's.. Easy 'nuff. Mad props to my wife and her tiny fingers for fishing the isolators out of the abyss when I kept dropping them.

Now that I had the hard part done, It was time to install the MAFT box. For the time being, I have mounted it on the firewall but will extend it into the cabin soon. Just make sure if you decide to mount the MAFT under the hood, it is nowhere near any water/fluids/heat, etc. It is nothing more than a circuit board in a little plastic box.
Install was a breeze. Unplug the stock MAF and remove the aircan, intake pipe assembly from the engine. Next, plug in the fat connector from the MAFT to the stock MAF plug. The fitament isn't perfect but it is pretty decent. I used a couple of zip ties to make sure it doesn't move. Next, tap the white wire coming from the MAFT to an RPM source. Presonally, I tapped it at the CAS. The RPM wire is the SMALLER black wire at the CAS. The RPM signal MUST be clean. Once done, I plugged the GM MAF into the remaining MAFT plug and covered all of the wires in black wire loom and zip tied them out of the way.

All that was left really was to drop the new (or modded) air filter/pipe assembly in the car. once in, I double checked ALL of the connections I had dorked with and did a boost leak test to make sure everything is tip top. It was..

*NOTE - My VPC intake pipe and filter havent come in yet so in order to use my stock aircan/filter combo, I simply removed the MAS from the aircan. The problem with this is that you will have several screw holes and the MAS plug hole in the air can. left as is, these holes would allow unfiltered air to get to the turbo.. Not good. To remedy the problem, I went to my local parts store and picked up a gas tank repair kit. It comes with epoxy and a fiberglass mesh that you can use to seal the holes. I followed the instructions in the kit and in 20 mins, had the holes patched. It and it works like a charm.. yee haw!

Tuning:

Easy peasy.. I have never tuned a car in my life and this was about as easy as it gets. First, I set the dip switches on the MAFT properly, set my base injector setting to 650cc and started her up. The car idled great. I took it for a short drive down Rt. 28 while my wife was keeping me updated w/ fuel trim info from the logger. After 2 passes, I was running a little lean at idle (due to the restrictive ass stock MAS being gone), a little rich at Mid and WAAAYYY rich at WOT. I stopped, leaned out WOT 15% Mid 5% and richened up the idle settings 10%. After 2 more passes, my fuel trims were right around the 95-105% range and the car feels retarded strong with 2 counts of knock max in 1st and none in 2-5 gears. Obviously this stuff is much easier to do with the pocket logger and EGT gauge. In my opinion, you are playing with fire trying to tune without any kind of monitoring equip.

The car is so much faster now.. before I was knocking all over the place and now with 30 mins of tuning at low boost, the car pulls stronger than ever.

All in all, I love this thing and would highly recommend it to anyone. As you can see, the install was easy as hell and tuning is rather painless. I've read alot of reviews where people are having problems with this set up but I must say, it's pretty much retard proof.. If you can pick your nose, you can install this.

Overall:

On a scale of 1 (Bad, Difficult, etc..) to 10 (Easy, AWESOME, exceptional, etc..) here is how I'd rate the above mod(s).

Ease of install-------------- 8
Ease of use --------------- 10
Performance gains ------- 10
Finding the parts ---------- 7
Time needed for install --- 7
Time needed for tuning -- 10

If anyone has questions, feel free to hit me up at [email protected].. I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or so.

And I'm spent..
-JP

Update:

I have gotten the translator box wired inside the cabin. I REALLY wish I would have done this to begin with. MAkes tuning that much easier.

The GM MAF mounted on my BR upper IC pipe:

Attachments

• maft1.jpg
    maft1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 10,401
  • maft2.jpg
    maft2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 11,192
  • maft3.jpg
    maft3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 9,485
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back