The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 1g fuel pump to sender hose

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent Pandolph

Proven Member
Apr 2, 2021
Townsend, Massachusetts
1990 tai AWD with fuel line upgrade throughout. Walbro 255 Fuel Lab afpr, Weldon racing filter. Problem I'm having is the small hose that connects pump to sender keep ripping/bursting. What type of fuel line am I to use here? As of now I'm using steel braided hose there. Part #s and any information on what type of hose you all use would be appreciated. Thanks

That's basically what I did when I initially rebuilt the system and installed new pump. That hose burst within 500 miles. I replaced with steel braided and now after 100 miles I'm having symptoms of leak in the tank, no external leaks seen or smelled. I can drive normal but if I try to make boost it leans out, and currently will only make 24 psi at fuel rail.

Worst part about this is I'm expecting a jmfabrication fuel cell in about 2-3 weeks. Gotta take off sender,fix the hose and reinstall, just to do it again in a couple of weeks.

Currently no, it's a piece of ssbraided fuel injection hose. The supplied hose that came with pump ruptured so I used that instead. I'm going to Napa to see what types of hose they have. Not even 💯 sure if the hose is the issue, but my fuel pressure is down 10 psi from where I set it. I'm going outside to check now if I can raise the pressure with the afpr.

I started it up and it's warming up, afpr is reading 34psi now. That's where I set it. Thinking the pre filter is clogged up. I don't even want to look because I'm going to be changing the fuel tank in a few weeks anyway.

Are you using submersible fuel hose?
Yes, you should use submersible hose. However, it's unlikely non-submersible hose would have "burst" in a short time. Unless you used really feeble, unreinforced hose, it should not rupture in a short time. How long was this hose in place before it burst? If it was a short time, you have some other issue.

But all the above said, regardless of anything else, any hose that will live its life submersed in fuel should be fuel submersible hose. You'd want fuel submersible hose even if your current hose hadn't burst. Many vendors sell it.

Yeah it's known as submersible but it's only been in for 120 miles. When I started it this morning I checked fuel pressure and it reads 34 now. Last night it was reading 24 when problem was present. I'm thinking the prefilter got clogged up and when the car sat overnight the fuel backwashed the pre filter. Running normal now and makes boost without cut. I'm not going to do anything about it until the jmfabrication fuel cell comes in

When I bought the car it had sat for 20 years. The entire fuel system was destroyed. I pressure washed the tank and then soaked it in evaporust for 3 weeks, rotating and shaking it daily. After all that I dumped a quart of mystery oil in it and fresh gas. Modified the sender because the feed elbow was rotted. Changed the ECU and gave it a tune up, and completely replaced the feed and return lines to -6 braided SS black fuel injection hose. Fuel Lab afpr and Weldon racing filter. Stated right up. Drove for about 500 miles fixing air leaks along the way. Then the fuel pump hose burst. Replaced that, and the PTU failed. Just fixed that last week and after 100 miles started getting the lean on wot and cutting out, checked pressure and was 24. Then this morning it's normal again. So most likely it is the tank filter. I just replaced the front Weldon filter 120 miles ago. When I did the old filter was full of rusty debris but luckily the rail was clean. That's when I ordered the jmfabrication fuel cell. So I kinda want to wait for the new tank and do it all together.

It's definitely the in tank filter. If I drive for long periods I lose the ability to get into boost, but I can drive it if I stay out of boost. If I turn it off for a bit the fuel rinses the filter and it will run good again for literally a few minutes. Speed shop ought to have a -10 to 5/8 push fitting for the jmfabrication tank later today, but I'm still waiting on the sender to tank gasket.

First of all, use R10 line. If it’s not R10, it will burst every time. Also, when doing long sections of rubber, help support the line by adding a clamp in the middle. Ive done as much as 3 for 100+ psi setups.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^^^^ THIS
Good Idea, I have done that myself Kenny. Sometimes 3 will almost cover the whole hose (depends on how long it is of course).
OP, notice that @ATEAV8 is also using the correct fuel injection clamps.
If you are leaning out after driving, more than likely, the pickup sock is clogging, since it seems to clear itself somewhat after sitting. With WHAT, we don't know but I had similar issues all last year. Mine was invisible to the eye and was E85 starting to JEL. It would clog the sock making the sock suck closed and then FP went to hell. If you are planning on using that pump in the new fuel cell, at least put a new pickup filter on it and at least it didn't take you a YEAR to figure it out and fix it. :thumb:

Yeah thanks for the tip there bro . I solved the issue like 4 months ago. Used braided-6 ss FI hose

Yeah thanks for the tip there bro . I solved the issue like 4 months ago. Used braided-6 ss FI hose
I’d hope you fixed it 4 months ago… that’s a long time to be stuck in the mud. More updated the thread for other people and for you as well when that fuel line you installed fails you

It will never fail again. I used the supplied hose that came with my walbro 255hp and that's the one that failed.

It will never fail again. I used the supplied hose that came with my walbro 255hp and that's the one that failed.
That’s correct sir because the line that comes with the pump isn’t R10 just like the SS hose you put in thats wrapped R9. It will fail… it will just take longer because it’s wrapped. Enjoy your car

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back