1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1g failed smog!!

Posted by Franks90GST, Jul 15, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Franks90GST

Franks90GST Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    San Francisco, California
    my car passed 2 years ago just have 2'5 inch piping and a evo16 turbo everything else is stock

Attached Files:

• smog.jpg
      smog.jpg
      File size:
      125.1 KB
      Views:

351  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. joseph95

joseph95 Probationary Member

Joined Dec 6, 2009
    antioch, Tennessee
    I would replace the catalytic converter

3. pneumo

pneumo Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2002
    Bay Area, California
    Check your base timing and make sure it's not high. High ignition timing will raise NOx.
    Also make sure the car is nice and hot before going into the smog check place. The best way to get the cat hot is to cruise at steady speed on the freeway for 20 minutes or more, then drive straight to the smog place. Avoid WOT, keep the car in closed loop. HTH

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.514 @ 118.130 · 1G DSM
  4. Franks90GST

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    so i changed the oil drove car for bout an hour and took it to the smog again ended up with the same numbers i didn't check the timing i don't have a machine to check it. know how much those run for? the guy at the smog shop didn't charge me which was nice!

351  0

manual · 1G DSM
  5. juanpac0

juanpac0 Proven Member

Joined Oct 15, 2008
    Frank, I'm also in the city - let me know if I can be of any assistance.

6. pneumo

pneumo Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2002
    Bay Area, California
    The timing will only help a little. Like joseph95 said, get a new cat, it'll help more.

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  7. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2005
    SoCal, California
    if it was the cat wouldn't that have made it fail at 25mph too or at least one of the other tests?

just seems like throwing a 200-300 dollar part at it isn't the best way of going at it. Seems like something is up or something. Maybe a small exhaust leak and outside air is getting into the exhaust?

outside air is like 70+% n2. i know the o2 measured was rather low and n2 and o2 don't just mix for the hell of it, but I'm kindof just trying to throw out cheaper suggestions than a new cat. Just saying its odd hes failing one so horribly and all the other tests look extremely good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  8. Franks90GST

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    could the egr valve be an issue? been reading and seems like alot of issues of block egr valve

351  0

manual · 1G DSM
  9. jwt-1gnt

jwt-1gnt Proven Member

Joined Apr 8, 2002
    Bay Area, California
    I'm having the same exact issue with my 90 Laser RS, I'm getting about 1400 ppm for NOX during the low speed portion of the smog test.

All my stock parts have been reinstalled, the only modified parts I have left in my car currently is a ported 2g manifold, ported EVO III turbo, ported O2 housing, 2.5" downpipe and dsmlink tuned for stock injectors. It's kind of a sad sight to see the car the way it is right now.

I just ordered an EGR valve, once I receive it, I'll install/retest and let you know the outcome.

442  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2005
    SoCal, California
    seriously? I have like 4 you coulda had...

11. kilo4

kilo4 Supporting VIP

Joined Apr 26, 2009
    Fairfield, California
    Maybe during low RPM's the catalytic converter element is not heating well enough. Since more hot exhaust gas flows through the converter during higher RPM's, it could possibly be enough to heat up the elements causing NOX level readings to go down.

Just throwing out ideas

937  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.796 @ 133.717 · 1G DSM
  12. pneumo

pneumo Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2002
    Bay Area, California
    Yes it could be a faulty EGR. It's common for the vacuum hose to fall off from the top of the EGR.

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  13. black_eclipse

black_eclipse Probationary Member

Joined Sep 26, 2007
    stockton, California
    i have same situation... I'm giving up on my car.. and selling it right now.. also i bought a new car.. car is really in good shape.. you guys probably see the car here in the forum.. it just the car didn't pass the smog.. the shop diagnose is it..and it say i could be the cat... but i don't wanna spend money for the cat.. so i'm selling it as is... selling it for 3200 firm.. all maintenance are done water pump, timing belt, new tires, coolant flush, transmission flush, tune up. send me a message if you guys interested..

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/norcal-region-dsm/407323-selling-my-gst.html

225  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  14. Franks90GST

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    Was looking around near the egr to see if the hoses were off or ripped. I noticed one hose thats not connected to the egr ones there is a half inch tear on it that hose is connected to the part thats under the battery mount tried taking the mount off to get a better look at it but cant get it off so gonna replace that hose asap any idea what that part is under the battery mount?

351  0

manual · 1G DSM
  15. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2005
    SoCal, California
    the charcol canister.

I probably spelled that wrong.

it vents the gas tank without letting harmful fumes into the atmosphere. It probably does something else too, since it is hooked up to the egr.

also, can I get the name of the smog shop your going to that doesn't check your egr to make sure its working?

16. Franks90GST

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    could that lil tear make that big impact on those numbers?

351  0

manual · 1G DSM
  17. ambush91

ambush91 Supporting VIP

Joined Nov 28, 2009
    Newport, New Hampshire
    the charcoal canister has a special "activated" charcoal (don't ask me why its called activated charcoal, its just what they told us at school haha) when your car is just sitting the gas in the tank starts to go to the vapor, instead of venting thru the gas cap or some other mechanism it is channeled into the charcoal canister to await for the next time the canister is purged. the canister gets purged some time the car is at cruise. it forces your fuel vapors into the motor improving overall mpg. if your Evap system isn't functioning correctly like a cracked vacuum line or some other problem the computer might be purging the canister but if the vapor's aren't making it into the engine the computer might lean the fuel mixture a little bit to compensate for the added fuel from the canister, but if the fuel isn't getting there the car could go slightly lean and any change towards lean increases nox. so overall the tear could be the problem, luckily i live in a state where emission's aren't strictly enforced... from what i can tell not enforced at all , hope i was some kinda help

1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.100 @ 114.92 · 2G DSM
  18. turdb0

turdb0 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 4, 2008
    HAve you tried the "pass smog" additive? I have tried rubbing alcohol with success.. hehe... I'm in the same boat, trying to pass smog on a car that has been sitting for 3 years. I think I've got it nailed down so going to try again this weekend.

Street Build 961  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4

363  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 1G DSM
  19. Franks90GST

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    i just put some of that stuff that makes you pass smog so gonna drive it around for a lil bit says do like 40 miles+ then retest gonna give it a shot

351  0

manual · 1G DSM
  20. turdb0

turdb0 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 4, 2008
    Good luck. I passed mine yesterday.

I keep wondering if would be easy to swap VINs with another car... if say you have 2 exact same cars, one won't pass smog and one will, just swap the VINs and go get it smogged. hmm....

Street Build 961  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4

363  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 1G DSM
  21. 93_tsi_fwd

93_tsi_fwd Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2006
    San Jose, California
    Have you tried seafoaming your motor? It helped me pass along with 87 octane gas.

835  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    · Galant VR-4
  22. saturnshadow

saturnshadow Proven Member

Joined Sep 7, 2005
    Fresno, California
    did i pass? did you try adding 20% denatured alcohol?
    works for me every time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

468  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.380 @ 110.000 · 2G DSM
  23. mitsubishikid

mitsubishikid Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2009
    Turlock, California
    If it reads high nox it is'nt always a catalytic converter, my dodge colt failed sevral times due to high nox, and I put a brand new cat. on it
    I did eventually pass... how you ask?
    [Note:my coltvista is stock no mods]

well It came to my attention that I noticed my smog tech was looking at my coltvista wire harness [note:just before it had failed the last test.] near my intake he moved the wires around a bit. so when I got home I looked in the same area and noticed that one of the tps wires was snapped at the base of the sensor.
    I replaced the sensor with one from an early 1g talon [Vista parts are hard to find hence why I used a talons] and it passed!

[Note:this was on a dodge colt vista which is a mitsubishi powerd 2.0 engine simaler to 4g63]

By thw way, the sensor used in the vista is simaler type used in the early talon, 3 wire type

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  24. Ehclipse

Ehclipse Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2011
    Bakersfield, California
    Those numbers looked just like mine and i replaced the catalytic convertor and it passed easily