The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 1G Engine rotates but doesn't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white 91 tsi

Probationary Member
Mar 18, 2005
richmond, Virginia
i recently replaced the head gasket and timing belt on my car. When i decide to try and start the car it rotates and thats it. I've got spark but still won't start. The only thing i think might be wrong is the timing is off or the camshaft position is not positioned right.

Replace your o2 sensors. Both up and down stream. Your car will start as long as your plugs are good (Usually have to replace those as well with a blown hg).

ddavisaf said:
Replace your o2 sensors. Both up and down stream. Your car will start as long as your plugs are good (Usually have to replace those as well with a blown hg).

you could replace your single o2 sensor (1g) and waste money because the computer doesn't read o2 on start up. make sure your getting fuel and then your problems lies in your timing. check cams for alignment after you spin the crank a few times

wrong initial valve/crank timing.........

i would say bent valves only because you have spark and i'm assuming fuel and no CEL. i only say this because thats what happened to mine, i put a new timing belt on and my intake cam was out of timing with the crank. result....bent valves. lets hope that didn't happen though, and there is an easy way to check. Do a compression test. if you have pressure in your cylinders while cranking then you can rule out bent valves. THEN you can start worrying about O2 sensors and such.......

if you don't have a compression tester, get one. but for the mean time pull out all of your 10mm bolts holding the valve cover on and take the cover off. see if you can make ANY of your rocker arms wiggle from side to side. if there is ANY play in any of the rocker arms, your valves are bent..

but only take the cover off if you have little or no compression or if you don't have a compression tester. otherwise you will need a new valve cover gasket.

I've learned that 95% of the time, the reason that something doesn't work the way it should is because of something directly related to what you were working on...... so good luck and let us know what you can find out.

Jason.

Waste of money? Every single time I've ever replaced a hg, I've had to replace o2 sensors. My mistake about the single o2, oh well. If it's a small leak then I can understand not needing to replace it... however if you're running and it's hot, then you empty all the coolant in a couple of seconds, well, you have to replace them. The o2 sensors get a burnt coolant film on them and they cannot read correctly. Regardless of how long the car has warmed up for.

But you're right, and I'm not sure what I was thinking. It should start regardless of how bad the o2 is. It will run horribly with a bad o2 though.

thats good news believe me. now go back to the basics. for a car to run you need fuel, spark, and timing. you say you have spark. now check for fuel flow. easy way to check is to flick your key to the start position and off again. you should hear a high pitched whistle for about 2 seconds. if you don't then go through your manual on how to check the fuel pump. but i'm more leaning on something to do with timing. how sure are you that your cams, oil pump balance shaft pulley, and your crank are timed right? are you sure that your using the right timing marks? i would go back and check.

Jason.

I'm haven a problem, engine rotates but does not start.
Changed fuel filter. Problem still there.
How would you tell if your fuel pump was dead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have spark.
Make sure you have fuel.
Make sure you have compression.

Check All You Fuses First!
Spark:
Pull each plug wire and ground it, then crank the car. Look for sparks jumping.
Fuel:
Crack a fuel line open and place it in a container. Then have someone crank over the car while you look to see if fuel is coming out of the fuel line.
Compression:
Run a compression test.

My engine will rotate but still will not start.
I've got fuel.
I have no compression in any cylinders.
Car did start before and has new head gasket done 5 months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
The car cranks, but has no compression? Sounds to me like you have a serious problem on your hands. When you say it did start..when are you talking about? How long ago. To get help you must provide more descriptive...descriptions haha. Anyways, could be rings could be valve related. Just give us alittle more info.

DSMcrazy3 said:
I would recommend pulling the head and taking a look.
First check for bent valves by removing valve cover and checking if any rocker arms are loose, off, or have excessive play. Bent valves will be stuck open a little. Also remove upper timing belt cover and check condition of timing belt.

took head off. Valves smacked in to pistons on intake side. what do i do know am i able to get new pistons and rebuild the head

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back