The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Earliest Production Date

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetThisDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Barberton, Ohio
Anyone know when the first 1G's came off the line? I picked up a 90 TSI AWD and it says October 1989 production date on the sticker inside the door.

That is the earliest one I've seen in the 10+ 1G's I've owned.

Is there a way to tell from the VIN what number it was?

Any thoughts? I'm curious to know.

:thumb:

According to ASA, it would be May of 1988. I have yet to find a VIN that substantiates that as most of the early ones I've checked point to October of 1988.

According to ASA, it would be May of 1988. I have yet to find a VIN that substantiates that as most of the early ones I've checked point to October of 1988.

Good to know. Thanks

The VIN doesn't tell anything about the order of production. The serial number is pretty random from what a Mitsu. tech told me.

My car is serial #10774, with a build date of 3/89. Unfortunately when I bought the car used in 95 I didn't get any original paperwork with it.

Does anyone now how many total 1Gs were built? Or annual production numbers?

My car is serial #10774, with a build date of 3/89. Unfortunately when I bought the car used in 95 I didn't get any original paperwork with it.

Here is a link to the MMNA website with production figures when it was still active. Click on the menu items on the left for drop down menus to navigate more of the site.

Can you post a pic of your build sticker in the drivers door frame.

Here ya go. You may be on to something here with the sequencing, I just looked at my other 90 and it was made a year later and it is 142xxx serial #
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Found this today on the washer reservoir while under the car removing the alternator. Who knew they dated that! Wonder if that's the exact build date of the car, or if they inspected parts like this a few days in advance. At 5,000 cars a month and working 22 days a month, that's 225 cars a day. Are any other parts dated?

Found this today on the washer reservoir while under the car removing the alternator. Who knew they dated that! Wonder if that's the exact build date of the car, or if they inspected parts like this a few days in advance. At 5,000 cars a month and working 22 days a month, that's 225 cars a day. Are any other parts dated?

That's the date the part was made.

Here you go. Post yours, curious how the serial #s progressed from March to July. Paint is Napa Red.
the MDH says the production ending time: your car comes off the assembly line at 1989 March 22. 16hours..

What are "early 90" parts?
90 models have some different parts than 91 to 94. Throttle body, cruise control system and cables, transmission, transfer case, brakes, ecu. All different on 90s. There are some exceptions of course but it's well know 90s have a lot of different parts than 91 to 94. That's also why some people won't buy a 90.

Oh, I'm plenty aware. Actually have one in the driveway. I think I read it differently than intended. I read it as there were '90 parts, then early '90 parts.

Oh, I'm plenty aware. Actually have one in the driveway. I think I read it differently than intended. I read it as there were '90 parts, then early '90 parts.
Off of the top of my head, the only major things different between early/late 1990 model year cars are transmission internals.

The intermediate shaft is of a smaller diameter (and therefore--the gears that ride on them) in pre-03/1990 production dates. 03/1990 and later had the 91 sized shafts.

And IIRC, weren't those early transmissions (at least for FWD) the KM- variations of F5M22 or F5M33?

KM206-0-DJNS for the non-turbo
KM215-0-ANS for the turbo

Off of the top of my head, the only major things different between early/late 1990 model year cars are transmission internals.

The intermediate shaft is of a smaller diameter (and therefore--the gears that ride on them) in pre-03/1990 production dates. 03/1990 and later had the 91 sized shafts.
Do you think March was actually the start of 1991 production or is that too early? If I recall the center diff and 3rd gear involutes were different on both 90 and 91 vs 92 up yet the shafts were different sizes so you had 3 different intermediate shafts and two of them were the first two years. I researched this heavily years ago when mixing trans parts. I had a gvr4 1st gear in a 90 case but I wanted to keep my 90 center diff and get double cone 2nd so I bought a 91 intermediate shaft. Frankentrans was born.

Paul,

The 1990 MY went out through 06/1990. That was the fun when someone called you and said "I have a 1990 transmission I want built". Most times, you had to tear it down and press the stack off of the intermediate shaft to know for sure. In most cases, they couldn't be "built" without updating the shaft, but every once in a while you'd get a late 1990 which had the 1991 diameter shaft, but the 1990 shift levers.

You're dead-on with the intermediate shaft changes--Early 90 units had the smaller diameter intermediate one. Late 90 through 1991 production had the thicker shaft, but could run the same pitch 3-4 setup. Then 1992 changed the intermediate shaft again, and the 3-4 pitch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back