The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Earliest Production Date

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul,

The 1990 MY went out through 06/1990. That was the fun when someone called you and said "I have a 1990 transmission I want built". Most times, you had to tear it down and press the stack off of the intermediate shaft to know for sure. In most cases, they couldn't be "built" without updating the shaft, but every once in a while you'd get a late 1990 which had the 1991 diameter shaft, but the 1990 shift levers.

You're dead-on with the intermediate shaft changes--Early 90 units had the smaller diameter intermediate one. Late 90 through 1991 production had the thicker shaft, but could run the same pitch 3-4 setup. Then 1992 changed the intermediate shaft again, and the 3-4 pitch.
Just for reference and anybody crazy enough to deal with a 90 trans you don't have to press the stack to tell. The shaft itself in between 3 and 4th gears is physically smaller. The whole shaft was made bigger when mitsu made the 2nd gear needle surfaces bigger and the 1/2 hub splines. It's pretty significant even at a quick glance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back