1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1g dsm No spark

Posted by Ssm90gsx, Aug 9, 2020

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. Ssm90gsx

Ssm90gsx Probationary Member

Joined Jan 6, 2015
    canton, Ohio
    Trying to continue my diagnosis of this no spark issue I’m having. I blew my motor last fall, and finally rebuilt it and swapped it in. This issue started out as a no spark on 1/4. Swapped out my coil for a spare and still no 1/4 spark. I checked the wiring at the pigtail of the coil and found one wire exposed and barely attached. I re-pinned a new connector and installed it. Still no 1/4 spark. I then took a break from the car, and came back to find no spark at all, and randomly I will get like one or two pulses from the 2/3 coil. So today I found a broken wire at the ecu connector for the 1/4 coils, I removed the pin, replaced it with a wire and pin from a spare harness and made sure resistance was less than .1ohm between the ecu connector and the PTU plug. While I had the connectors exposed, I went ahead and checked continuity between the transistor plug and ecu plug. Everything checked out fine. I’m getting proper voltages at the PTU connector from the ignition switched 12 volt, have a pulse coming from the ecu to the PTU on both the 1/4 and 2/3 wire. The one thing I did notice though, is there is continuity between any ground point, and the 1/4 + 2/3 wire at the PTU plug. I’m at the point where I think my PTU is fried, but with all the other things I’ve found wrong, I believe there to be something deeper. I’ve swapped out a known good 90 ecu with the one I have now. Any insight would be amazing !

Street Build 181  1

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    CAS in good working order?

Street Build 5K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

1K  14

awd · manual · 1G DSM

838  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 6K  14  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  3. Ssm90gsx

Joined Jan 6, 2015
    canton, Ohio
    Yes. As far as I know it is good. When I turn it by hand all of the injectors pulse like they should. I’m pretty sure I’m getting a pulse At the two wires (yellow 1/4 and yellow/red stripe 2/3) from the ecu. I tested my PTU according to both the factory manual, and the light bulb method and it registered good. I have my wiring harness out of the car as well as the ecu. I checked resistance on both of those circuits and came up with less than .2-.4 ohms. On the wires from the PTU to the coil pack wiring, had less than .2 ohms. None of the wires were shorted to ground or power. I’m really stumped here

Street Build 181  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    If you need a spare PTU, I got plenty.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  5. Ssm90gsx

Joined Jan 6, 2015
    canton, Ohio
    I tested my PTU according to the manual, as well as the light bulb test and it registered good according to those tests.

Is it possible for the cam sensor to be bad and still give me pulse for the injectors?

Street Build 181  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    I believe so, yes. Years ago on my last spyder, I did a 6 bolt swap. Would get random no start conditions that always pointed to misfire. Even had misfire codes. Always had a code for injector 2 malfunctions as well. When I finally found out my CAS had a random failure, and replaced it, all my problems went away.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

automatic · 2G DSM
  7. Ssm90gsx

Joined Jan 6, 2015
    canton, Ohio
    I think I’m gonna go ahead and take mine apart and see what the inside looks like. I have a spare 91-94 cas I can wire up if need be.

Street Build 181  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    20190829_201413.jpg

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

automatic · 2G DSM
  9. Ssm90gsx

Joined Jan 6, 2015
    canton, Ohio
    Hoping this is the issue. Haven’t got to hear this new motor come to life yet

Street Build 181  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    spyderdrifter likes this.
  10. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    Sorta the same for me. Got a fresh built 6 bolt with forged internals and slightly boosted compression. Not even fully assembled yet. Can't wait though.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

automatic · 2G DSM
  11. Ssm90gsx

Joined Jan 6, 2015
    canton, Ohio
    Welp after more diag, I still have come up with no spark. Anybody have any suggestions? Cas and PTU tested good. Coil pack is brand new. Swapped the ecu, and went thru the wiring harness with a full pin out. What am I missing here

Street Build 181  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM