The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1g Creeping stock... then maintenance...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeosTalon

Probationary Member
Aug 16, 2010
SoCal, California
Hey guys I just purchase a 91 tsi. It only has an after market air filter and a muffler. With the rest of the car stock I am boost creeping 20+. Hitting fuel cut. I wanted to change all the fluids and perfom major maintenance but I want to fix the creeping problem. I don't want to hurt the motor.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey guys I just purchase a 91 tsi. It only has an after market air filter and a muffler. With the rest of the car stock I am boost creeping 20+. Hitting fuel cut. I wanted to change all the fluids and perfom major maintenance but I want to fix the creeping problem. I don't want to hurt the motor.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Check the BCS to make sure it is hooked up properly, also install a aftermarket boost gauge if you haven't done so. With that said, your car shouldn't creep. Make sure the vacuum line goes from the j pipe to the bcs and from the bcs the wastegate.

Check the BCS to make sure it is hooked up properly, also install a aftermarket boost gauge if you haven't done so. With that said, your car shouldn't creep. Make sure the vacuum line goes from the j pipe to the bcs and from the bcs the wastegate.

I checked the vacuum lines and they all seemed to be going to the right place. Someone just told me it could be the cat or wastegate getting stuck. Apperantly I might not have back pressure. Maybe the cat collapsed internally. I'll probably check the wastegate lever and actuator.
I have an hks boost gauge.

I haven't found anyone with the same problem as me. There is a lot of information on boost creep but only with modifications. Never on a stock engine.

I checked the vacuum lines and they all seemed to be going to the right place. Someone just told me it could be the cat or wastegate getting stuck. Apperantly I might not have back pressure. Maybe the cat collapsed internally. I'll probably check the wastegate lever and actuator.
I have an hks boost gauge.

I haven't found anyone with the same problem as me. There is a lot of information on boost creep but only with modifications. Never on a stock engine.

What you need to do is either connect your wastegate to a air tank and pressurize it to see if its opening properly or disconnect the actuator arm and see if the flapper is binding up at all, the cat collapsing shouldn't cause you to spike that high I'm sure the flapper is probably just stuck shut.

What you need to do is either connect your wastegate to a air tank and pressurize it to see if its opening properly or disconnect the actuator arm and see if the flapper is binding up at all, the cat collapsing shouldn't cause you to spike that high I'm sure the flapper is probably just stuck shut.

Yeah I didn't think its the cat....

So I disconnect the wastegate vacuum line and hook it up to an air tank to about 10 psi? I should then see the actuator arm move?

The other way of checking the flapper is to disconnect the arm and physically move the flapper with my finger ? Does that sound right?

This might be some basic stuff I should know but I am new to this. So, I got to ask a lot of questions, sorry.

Yeah I didn't think its the cat....

So I disconnect the wastegate vacuum line and hook it up to an air tank to about 10 psi? I should then see the actuator arm move?

The other way of checking the flapper is to disconnect the arm and physically move the flapper with my finger ? Does that sound right?

This might be some basic stuff I should know but I am new to this. So, I got to ask a lot of questions, sorry.

Yessir.

Check your vacuum lines and compare them to a diagram and see if theres anything wrong. also look and see if their old or worn out.

Could it possibly be a boost leak? Just throwing something out there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back