The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1G 1G Cooling fan wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

English_Rugby

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2010
Saint Joseph, Michigan
I got myself a mishimoto rad + fan combo, as far as the wiring goes how can I wire it into my 1g harness so it gets triggered by the ECU and on the driver side the AC fan switch in the car.. The fans just come with a ground and +, but the original fan wiring has four wires, a black, blue and black, blue and red + green and black. How can I wire this into my new fans? None of the manuals have anything on the wiring which is annoying, so any help would be appreciated!

Hard to remember the colors, but on the stock wiring, 2 of the 4 wires should be going to the fan motor, while the other 2 do not. These are the 2 wires that you want to cut and splice to your slim fans. The black wire on the slim fan will go with the black wire on the stock fan, and the other will obviously be the positive.

The stock 1g radiator fan plug, plug A-40, has 4 wires:
  • Blue/Black - Ground (fan motor)
  • Blue/Red - Fan relay (fan motor)
  • Green/Black - Ignition switch (thermo sensor)
  • Black - A/C fan relay (thermo sensor)
Just hook up the blue/black and blue/red to the wires for the new fans. It should look like this:

attachment.php

That's as simple as I hoped it'd be.. Thanks. So I assume when you wire them in like that they behave as the stock fans would? Also, as they are high CFM fans if I wanted to wire one in to the AC fan position, and simply wired in the ground and live, would it behave like the AC fan (turn on when you press the AC switch?) Thanks again.

That's as simple as I hoped it'd be.. Thanks. So I assume when you wire them in like that they behave as the stock fans would?
Yes, they would behave together as one, as the stock main radiator fan. They would be controlled completely by the thermoswitch in the radiator and turn on and off automatically based on the coolant temp.

Also, as they are high CFM fans if I wanted to wire one in to the AC fan position, and simply wired in the ground and live, would it behave like the AC fan (turn on when you press the AC switch?) Thanks again.

I don't understand your "high CFM" comment. I can tell you right now that the stock radiator fan flows more CFM then those slim fans. Do you have A/C if so then I would wire the second fan up to the A/C system like factory. For me I have long since removed my A/C and I wanted then both to come on automatically based on the coolant temp.

Okay well I was just figuring on hot days and when I know I am going to be gaining a lot of heat I would prefer to have it so I could control the 2nd fan via the AC switch. When I bought the car it didn't have the stock fans, the guy somehow squeezed a 14" or whatever, and that flowed terribly so in contrast these really are high CFM, I've not seen the stock to rate these against. As I have no means of changing the temp the thermo-switch activates at and that's too hot stock, I figured that a good way to control the cooling better would be to have it on the AC switch? (I religiously check my coolant temp etc..) If you were in my position would you still wire them in parallel or do what you recommended? Thanks.

The simplest is to just wire them in parallel controlled by the thermo switch as 9!'clipseDOHC said. This assumes you still have the thermo switch in the bottom of the radiator.
But if you want to control the drivers side fan by the AC switch using stock wiring, it all depends on whether your AC is actually working. The AC will not turn that fan on unless it is completely working (freon pressure and all) even though you press the AC button. If it's working than great, just connect that fan to the 4 wire connector A-32's blue and black wires (the other wires are blue-black and black-white). But if it's not working you'll have to rewire that AC switch (or another one) to a relay to control that fan.

Im kind of browsing around cause I was wondering instead of splicing into the old wires, If I could just the wires straight off the battery? I can get a switch from work. have positive from the battery to a fuse then to the switch, (or fuse from the switch to my fans) then from the switch to my fans, and ground the switch, I am just unsure if I would need to ground the fans as well. The reason I just dont splice around is my radiator fan does not turn on, and I figure it would be easier just to manually control my fans (like I been doing with my ac fan to cool my engine for some time now) than figuring whats wrong.

Go to a wire that has power when the key is on. That way they will go off with the key. Otherwise you'll forget some day to turn your fans off. BTW you ground the other side of the fan, not the switch.

Here's a way to hook your fan up. It's set up to run the fan whenever the key is on. If you want to add a switch to turn the fan on (when key is also on), put an on/off switch between relay pin 85 and any 12v power source that has power when key is on (ie. one of the things on the right).
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80263&d=1203007364

Last edited:
That what im pretty much doing is running my AC fan by using my AC button, other than that my fans wont turn on, thanks for the info

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having a really difficult time reading the wiring diagram (never done this before) and don't have much to work off otherwise. A few months ago I tossed the stock passenger side fan (the one that has the plug for the thermo switch on the radiator), and I'd like to wire my slim fans up same as above so that the thermo switch controls both fans. I've removed all my emissions stuff and I believe I can grab a similar plug from up near the battery or worst case scenario use some blade connectors and attach them directly, but I'm unsure of where to connect the wires.

Basically what I've got to work with is the wiring stuff I salvaged from the driver side fan like the resistor with the 4 prong plug (A-52?) so my idea is to hard wire the resistor and then wire the slim fans and the thermo switch to the 4 prong plug and done... Just not sure how. Halp!

Anyone know which pins to connect the thermo switch to on the 4 pin plug? I don't have the proper wires to follow the colours LOL :(

The stock 1g radiator fan plug, plug A-40, has 4 wires:
  • Blue/Black - Ground (fan motor)
  • Blue/Red - Fan relay (fan motor)
  • Green/Black - Ignition switch (thermo sensor)
  • Black - A/C fan relay (thermo sensor)
Just hook up the blue/black and blue/red to the wires for the new fans. It should look like this:

attachment.php
Is there a picture somewhere? This one doesnt show up. I get the idea but want to have a visual if possible

Yes, they would behave together as one, as the stock main radiator fan. They would be controlled completely by the thermoswitch in the radiator and turn on and off automatically based on the coolant temp.

I don't understand your "high CFM" comment. I can tell you right now that the stock radiator fan flows more CFM then those slim fans. Do you have A/C if so then I would wire the second fan up to the A/C system like factory. For me I have long since removed my A/C and I wanted then both to come on automatically based on the coolant temp.
I tied the wires in like you said. Passenger side stock fan comes on with AC now and slim fan wired to AC fan is not coming on🤷‍♂️

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have it just like he said......

"If it's working then great, just connect that fan to the 4 wire connector A-32's blue and black wires (the other wires are blue-black and black-white)"

That slim fan is not coming on at all🤷‍♂️
Measure the voltage at the connection while the fan is suppose to be running and see what you get.

I’ve read before that M wires their fans backwards, so you might be expecting to see negative battery voltage on your DMM.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back