The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g Coilover selecion, help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

74runner

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 21, 2009
Brantford, ON_Canada
I've been doing a lot of searching and reading about Struts/coilovers but there are just to many options for me to decide and I don't want to buy twice.
The front struts are leaking in my 91 Eagle Talon and need to be replaced, I like go to Toronto MotorSport park (Road course) here in Canada but also drive the car a lot in the summer so I need some help in picking the right set up for me.
I'll replace all four strut assembles and I want a system that I can lower about 1.5" with out compromising strut travel or ride comfort on the street. I'd like to just buy some thing and install it, I don't want to be ordering parts from all over and mix matching components.

My car has been lowered but I don't know with what components but they are adjustable struts.
I bought and installed some 17" aluminum rims fitted with Maxtrek ingens 235/45zr17 tires.

Lowering 1.5 is a lot. Gonna be hard to maintain proper alignment without additional parts. I'd vote bilsteins and h&r springs for a lower budget. I have agx on my car right now, and don't like them as much as the bilsteins I always used for years.

You gotta spend to play but its something to consider if you really want a good setup for coil overs or goals, I don't know too many people who have coil overs, I have kybs and eibach on my street car mainly no complaints.

I've got $1050 into my Koni Yellows and GC coilover kit. New bump stops and Torrington bearings for the front and rear. I did find a great deal using an online coupon on autoanything.com for the Konis. I love them! So much better than the AGX/Prokit combo I had before!!! (The fronts are for a 1g, but you have to order rears for a 2g)

Edit:
I just checked the website and if you use the promo code FRMTUNDRA16 at checkout you save 16% and get free shipping. Not sure about shipping to Canada, but you can get a set of Konis for $591 shipped right now. I paid another $590 for the GC kit (the Torrington bearings were $88 and the bump stops were $48)

Last edited:
My springs are still in great shape, I found the book that was in the glove box of the car when I bought it. The suspension is HKS Mitsubishi Galant VR-4,VX-4 (E39A,E38A) I may just reuse the springs.

I saw those too the konis are good but for now im ok, but for handling I want some coil over that will be the next big purchase, down the road.

I'm looking for some good coilovers to, for street and circuit/autoX use. Anyone ever run fortune 500's before? I'm really interested in them heard great things about them on different cars just not dsm's.
I'll be doing sway bars strut bars this spring and looking to tie it all together with some coilovers if possible.
Are the Evo 1-3 suspension setups the same as the 1g's?

I've been rocking my Megan racing coilovers for about 5 years and replaced the shock inserts once after about 2 years of owning the car because they were starting to blow (no idea how long they were on the car before). Anyways about 3 years later no complaints. I love them.

Feal is the way to go. I have been running and racing on these coilovers for a few years now. We have sold a bunch and have never had any reported issues. Well worth the extra coin for a quality Coilover. Megan, D2, Ksport can not even compare to a properly valved and setup Coilover, not to me mention these come setup with Swift springs. http://strictlyperformance.parts/shop/feal-441-coilover-kit-2021

Feal is the way to go. I have been running and racing on these coilovers for a few years now. We have sold a bunch and have never had any reported issues. Well worth the extra coin for a quality Coilover. Megan, D2, Ksport can not even compare to a properly valved and setup Coilover, not to me mention these come setup with Swift springs. http://strictlyperformance.parts/shop/feal-441-coilover-kit-2021
How would feal's compare to fortune 500's?

How would feal's compare to fortune 500's?
I have no personal experience with the Fortune Auto's but I do know that they do not include the Swift springs on there base coilover. They make you pay around $300 for the spring upgrade (i do believe).

I have no personal experience with the Fortune Auto's but I do know that they do not include the Swift springs on there base coilover. They make you pay around $300 for the spring upgrade (i do believe).
What kind of racing do you do? How are the street manners with the feals? Are you still running the 7k/7k spring rates they come with originally?
I'm definitely not wasting my money on megan or K-sports, they're far to basic and the performance just isn't there.

What kind of racing do you do? How are the street manners with the feals? Are you still running the 7k/7k spring rates they come with originally?
I'm definitely not wasting my money on megan or K-sports, they're far to basic and the performance just isn't there.
I do a lot of road racing, I also have tested and been in a few 2g's and 1g customer cars that we have installed. Street manners is significantly stiffer then stock struts, But you can really feel the difference compared to the more basic hard riding /jarring coilovers on the market. If you plan on mostly street driving keep the springs they recommend and dial in the Dampeners to your liking. You really can feel a huge difference from soft all the way to the hardest setting. Our roads are horrible here in MI so any type of lowering spring or coilover upgrade is horrid on the streets.

I have road raced on Megans coils and was actually kind of impressed for what they are. By no means am I saying they are the best, but there not junk on the track IMO. I wanted to try a set of FEAL coil overs myself. I got a bit discouraged though after I had them rebuild my coil overs and 2 of the 4 blew out within 6 months of normal and occasional driving.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back