The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1g Clutch Stiffened

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBDdsmer610

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2006
easton, Pennsylvania
ok was driving around town for a bit so i pull into the bar parking lot to go get a drink. well i let off the clutch and i hear a loud noise dont remember what it sounded like. but after that the car would not go in gear. all of a sudden the clutch Stiffened....i have the normal bit of free play then it is really stiff. i have a fidanza flywheel and just an OEM clutch from advanced auto. and they only have about 9-10k miles on them. put a bran new slave in and a new master blead it properly and it is still stiff.

Im thinking mabey the presure plate springs or the TOB but i need some help here.

I would go with the spring poping out on the disk, go with an unsprung disk to avoid this problem in the future.

I would go with the spring poping out on the disk, go with an unsprung disk to avoid this problem in the future.

+1 on it being the dics but un unsprung dics is very hard on the splines and the transmission in general. stick with a sprung unless you want to be replacing the trans too

Yes unsprung is harder on the spline and trans but it is how you drive the car, beat on the car and it will break sprung or unsprung. with a dsm I would never go with a clutch kit from any local autoparts store, go with something with a good rep, act, exedy, ect....

I was deff thinking the springs and you guys are just talking about the normal street disk right? I had an act 2600 and streetlite flywheel in my old car when it was fully built and i loved it but i sold it so i need to spend another 600$ on a clutch and flywheel........

What do you guys think of those fidanza flywheels too? i havent heard very good things about them.

First pop the hood and take a look at the release lever, is it's nearly centered in the opening in the case?

Next, grab the slave cylinder (S/C) rod and push it into the body of the S/C. If you can't, then there may be more issues, like you've got the master cylinder adjusted wrong and it's now over stroked the clutch. (ie causing carnage). It could be the clutch disk too, but check those two items first and we'll discuss more.

will do but the clutch got all stiff a day before i put the new master in i thought that it was the problem ### it was leaking inside the car but im thinkin it the springs and when the car is ideling you can hear noises and when u push the clutch in

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back