The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1g clutch slave or clutch going bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSTurbo1

10+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2012
Pickens, SC, South_Carolina
Ok guys so my car just started acting up all of the sudden. No slip or anything like that prior. Anyways this morning I had to slam it in reverse to get it to go. It would just grind. I had to slam in every gear. I think the clutch is not disengaging. Whenever I push the clutch in it does not release just keeps moving as if I never pushed it in. I don't think it is the actual clutch itself. As I said before shifted fine. Previously. I barely made it to work today. Can someone point towards the right direction.

Well first you had a clutch related issue but now ruined your trans by forcing it into gear too. When a trans blocks you from a gear it is trying to tell you something is wrong with the clutch. When you ignore it and force it anyway you just threw hundreds of more dollars out the window with now a damaged trans. I fail to understand why people don't stop when the clutch has an issue and slam it into gear instead. A $50 towing charge seems a lot cheaper to me than going through the trouble of tearing the trans down and replacing $600 worth of synchros.

This issue has been discussed in countless threads but you have a severe clutch drag problem caused by:
Broken clutch disk
Loose trans to engine bolts
Low master cylinder fluid level
Blown master cylinder internal seal due to cheap autoparts store master
Broken TOB
Broken or loose clutch bolts
Broken pressure plate straps

Whatever it is when it's fixed the trans will then need attention. If you need help with that let me know.

Jack

Well I was on the way to work to be honest. Had no other way to get there. I was thinking I might have air in my lines. Where is the bleeder valve at?

Well I was on the way to work to be honest. Had no other way to get there. I was thinking I might have air in my lines. Where is the bleeder valve at?

The assembly bleeds itself. The only time you need to bleed it is when the master or slave are replaced. If the fluid level is good and there are no leaks bleeding will do nothing. You likely have a broken clutch.

Well this is resolved. I bled the clutch and it shifts like butter in all gears. Even better than before! I love being right!

Ok, I bled the clutch run smoother than it has since I had the car. No clutch grab at all. The next morning the car would not let me select any gear at all. I am either thinking clutch slave or a hole in the line. I did have to mess with the line a little bit the other day in order to get my hand into a certain spot to work on my bov. I think I may have put an air leak in the line. Can you guys help me diagnose the problem.

If you have a puncture, then you would lose fluid. Air can't get into the system unless you are losing fluid somewhere. Is the fluid level in the reservoir low or need to be filled? If you are not losing fluid, then you don't have a leak unless it is an internal seal leak inside the master cylinder itself. Is the master the original or an autoparts store unit? If you have an aftermarket master from an auto store in the car then the internal seal is probably blown. They are notorious for that.

I'll take a pic of the unit(s) in a minute! I appreciate the help so much buddy! I bled all the old fluid out using a mighty vac, it was super dark almost black. I'm feeling like I might have an internal leak in the master cylinder. I'll take pic in a bit.

Ok, so the master cylinder looks new compared to the brake master. Which should I replace first the master or the slave? I know the slave should be a lot cheaper.

As far as fluids for the clutch they really haven't gone down. I'm going to go out on a limb and replace the slave.

Oh and when I was under the car and got my girlfriend to push the clutch in the slave would sqqqqquuuueeeeeaaaaakkkkkk everytime she pushed it in. I'm going to replace it.

Have you tried adjusting the master cylinder rod according to Jack's video?

Also, if you're not sure if the master or slave cylinder is leaking internally, have someone push the clutch pedal in and watch the slave if the pressure bleeds off.

The slave just has an o-ring seal inside with a piston and that's it. If the slave is bad, it will leak. If it's not leaking, it's not bad.

The master is the only part which could have an internal leak.

Maybe it is the master. I'm going to replace the slave, then probably rebuild the master

Well I took the master out to replace and found that it was leaking or so I guess the rubber ring was holding most if it in

Attachments

• image-400331995.jpg
    image-400331995.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2503783360.jpg
    image-2503783360.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 85
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back