The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g car won't stay running!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZSpeed

Probationary Member
Aug 28, 2011
Waukegan, Illinois
I've got a 1990 tsi awd, has been running decent but today I went to start it and the battery was dead. No big deal I charged it but still had a hard time starting it and sometimes it would fire once or twice then die. If I do get it to run I have to hold the gas and rev it to keep it going then I hear clicking coming from inside where the radio is then it shuts down. Sometimes it clicks inside the engine bay and I can feel the solenoids by the brake booster clicking. What's happening any ideas?
Thanks!

I have the same problem, I'll be driving down the road and then I hear the mpfi relay click, CEL pops on for a second, the car bogs down until it dies, no throttle response at all while bogging down and the tach doesn't work while bogging either, if it sits for a while it will restart or if I remove the battery terminals for a few seconds then attach them again it will turn over and run, having major trouble figuring it out

Steve,

That sounds like classic leaking capacitors. Has the ECU been checked and had them replaced.
When the CEL turns on like that, it's an indication that the ECU just reset and if the CEL doesn't stay on for five seconds then go out the ECU has crashed again and didn't restart again.

Has it been getting worse over time?

Yes sir, it used to be the cel would just pop on and go off but over time it got worse and worse. I've opened the ecu and it did not smell the fishy smell but that doesn't always mean to much

Ok, ill have to do it in the morning. I've replaced the ecu with 2 other 1g ecu's and I was still having the same problem but I wasn't positive they were good ecu's so that doesn't do it justice. Also if I don't drive the car for a week or so then when I do the problem doesn't happen for a few days afterwards, just throwing out weird things that happen, is there an easier way to contact you or is this forum the best?

I have replaced the relay with a used one out of a parts car and same issues, not sure what the chances are of both being bad but im sure it could be possible, the cars a 1991 eagle talon tsi awd, 100k miles and the only thing I think worth mentioning are that it has an autozone alternator and an aftermarket alarm (autostart) and such..

i was thing ecu also, have your checked your ground to chassis? and connections? or maybe bad ecu ground?

Seen ECU's look good, but a driver inside the ECU take a dump due to a bad ground shorting out the driver.

:hmm: How does a bad ground short out something?

I've seen and replaced lots of bad/blown drivers but I can't say any were caused by a bad ground, it's always a problem with something being shorted to a power source.

Rather than speculate, I'm waiting for pictures. Just like I'm waiting for the OP to respond and trying not to hijack his thread.

Yeah im sorry hijacking wasn't what I was trying to do, I figured instead ok starting another thread I thought we could all throw some ideas around since we have almost similar problems

I guess I can't upload pictures from my DROID, Steve do you maybe have an email I can send them to?

I upload files all the time from my Android using the web browser with this App Es file explorer

If you go advanced an click on the Upload/edit photes button it should pop up to use that App to chose a file.....

If you still can Shot me a Pm an Ill look/ upload them if steve doesnt get back to you....

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back