The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 1G Car doesn't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kettlar 91 laser rs

Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Indianapolis, Indiana
My 1992 Eagle Talon AWD auto will not start, it is at a body shop and they will not work on it because it does not run and has a mechanical issue. I just installed a new starter pretty recently leaving me to wonder if my flywheel is bad and just eating up my starter’s bendix. I have taken a video of the sound it makes when you try to turn it over.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is the video couldn't get it attached earlier
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Put the new starter in and it started right up, should i delete the thread, keep it up, or delete some of the thread to clean it up?
Try turning the engine a 1/4 turn or so at the crankshaft and then try starting it. If its bad teeth on the flex plate more than likely its just in one spot so moving it to another spot will allow it to catch. If that works then you more than likely need a new flex plate.

I can't see the video so I will ask, does it turn over but just won't start? Or does it NOT even turn over? If it spins over but no start, check plugs, wires, injectors/fuel pump, PTU and the coolant temp switch.
If it doesn't turn over or quits turning over in one spot, it is probably the flex plate as @97egl mentioned.

It still wouldn't start after turning the crank 1/4 turn, does anybody think it could just be a fuel pump?
No, you're not even turning the engine over from the sounds of your video.

Why did you install a new starter in the first place? Did this new starter ever work right? Do automatic's have a flywheel inspection cover like the manual trans so you could physically inspect the flywheel ring gear?

i replaced the starter about 3k miles ago because it started weak which i figured was due to it being the stock 30 year old starter since it only has 50k miles at the time of replacing the starter. The starter Bendix was also worn.

It also appeared to be a manual starter in it as well rather than the automatic one that I installed.

Anyways after replacing it, it seemed to still start better some days rather than others which i assume is the flex plate being worn in some places and not in others making it harder or easier to start like @97egl had said. The new starter did work correctly up until it having issues a couple weeks ago but it seems it might not have been the problem after all.

I dont see anything wrong with any of the teeth. Since you can hear the starter going but it doesn't turn the car over and the teeth look fine I would guess the tab on the solenoid that is responsible for throwing the starter gear into the flywheel has failed. You could pull the 2 screws holding the solenoid on and check this or just get a new starter and toss it in.

Are you sure you received an AWD starter and not a FWD? Usually they will just hit and not engage but I have seen one actually roll the engine before.

... Nvm. 1g same part number

I see metal shavings inside the starter so you're grinding on something, probably the flywheel. Can you snap a photo of the flywheel? Hard to tell what it looks like in the video.

Starters ARE different between the two.

At some point, the flywheel will get eaten up if the problem is not addressed VERY SOON. The flywheel is built into an automatic car on the torque converter.

IDK if that ring gear can be replaced or not but that starter is chewing on something. It will show its ugly head pretty soon if the OP can't figure out if he has the correct parts combination.

Starters ARE different between the two.
That's what I thought but when I looked it up it showed same number. Just different starter plates. All of my starters I take off I label fwd/awd 5sp/auto. Plates are most certainly different but it's highly unlikely the trans was pulled and that was swapped without knowing.

I am worried about the torque converter. You can't just go find one of them (I need one, I know). Crossing my fingers that the issue is solved before it is an even BIGGER issue.

I am worried about the torque converter. You can't just go find one of them (I need one, I know). Crossing my fingers that the issue is solved before it is an even BIGGER issue.
I can check. I've got about 24 dsms worth of parts, and 5 complete dsms. Not very much auto stuff though

The part number of the one i bought was 3371081

These are the manual and auto starters from bbb industries and ac delco. notice both manuals have the extra tube at the bottom like the one i pulled out did, and then the bbb auto one has the tube but the ac delco auto starter doesnt have the tube.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back