The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Build : Basic Bxtch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GASonny

5+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2018
St. Petersburg, Florida
So I was lucky enough to have a friend who would sell me his "freshly purchased" 1G Talon that he has been searching for a while now. He literally owned the car for two days before selling it to me. This car is a low milage 83xxx (as of 5/2/18) mint car.

There is a HUGE to do list for me to get this car to where I want it but obviously wont be done in a short amount of time. So for now - here's my build thread!

I can't say what exactly what I want to do for the car - but short term plans so far is just getting everything that's old - replaced.

Last edited:
Hey there!! Yeah it runs great - has the original radio and cold a/c .

Do you still have a DSM?

Wow, unmolested 1gs are extremely rare. Take good care of her. :)

Yup, I've still got the '96 and '97 listed in my profile. Currently dailying my '96 while the '97 sits covered up in my yard waiting for me to get some time to do some maintenance, so if you see a black 2ga Talon around town it's almost certainly me.

Looks like the picture of the rear of your car was taken at the WaWa on 34th st?

Last edited:
My girlfriend snaps pics of any DSMs she sees out in the wild, and sends them to me, generally with the caption "is this a turbo?" She was particularly excited to send me this because she knows how long it's been since I've seen a 1g:
Attach22317_20180412_210734.jpg

I assume this is you. :cool:

Very, very, very rare. I hope I can tolerate the stock head unit. This is turning into a project / daily car for me. Luckily I only live just a few miles from work.

I haven’t even seen any clean DSMs or hardly any GSX/TSI’s around. So to find even a clean one is really rare! Do you have IG?

This WaWa is the one next to Lowe’s off of 22nd Ave N. Picture was taken as soon as it came off of the delivery truck

My first DSM was a Maroon 1.8L 1993 Eclipse GS I bought sometime around the turn of the millennium. Didn't know much about working on cars back then, and it developed a persistent stalling problem when cold, and idle surge when hot. Now I know it was a simple fix, but I sold it off for cheap and drove a 3g for a couple of years before buying my '96.

I like 2gs, as evidenced by the fact that I own two of them, but I still really miss my 1g. Even with that turd of a motor, it was just a cool car to be inside of.

Yeah, DSMs in general are quite rare around here. When I first bought my Talon there was one or two other 2g Talons that I'd see around. Maybe 10-15 years ago you'd see tons of 2g Eclipses, and the occasional 1g, but all I see these days are n/a Spyders--lone survivors of a dying breed.

Last edited:
Yes sir! That's me! I've been chasing little things on the car and slowly tackling them.

First week of owning the car : Timing belt, pulleys and water pump oh and Oil Change

Second week : A/C Compressor goes - belt almost melts and I thought the car was going to be on fire. Got this replaced especially as we know it - it's getting hot again here. Also got the windows tinted

Third week : Fluids changed - T Case Rear Diff and new knock sensor

This week (4/23/18) : Discovered I needed a new oil return so I bought an OEM one. New master and slave.

As long as it drives solid and no hiccups I'll be finally going towards getting a new exhaust on the car along w/ new brakes and suspension.

Little things! The car is going to the paint shop here sometime soon whenever my friends can make time for the car.

Last edited:
Update on the car 5/2/18

Ordered a bunch of goodies!! Waiting for the parts to trickle in..

D74DD060-7554-4D8C-8BA0-F7AC134E4068.jpeg
894DCACC-68CD-48F8-B9C6-889A0D958E6C.jpeg

Last edited:
8CD2B83B-D407-41D2-82F1-B47DD77C80ED.jpeg
4B078A5C-2B08-4DEA-9BB6-EAAAA6FDB5F8.jpeg

Yay so today a few more things came in! Ordered my tires and will be here by Monday! Ended up going with Sumitoyo htr z3 245/40/17

Wheels are 7x9 +35
Dp is Megan 2.5 to 3

The Sumitomo HTR-Z III were good before the Goodyear / Sumitomo dissolution. I still have my set from before that happened and I love them. They actually grip extremely well. I can not confirm personally, but a reputable source both in the racing and tire world told me that the quality and grip in them dropped after the 2015 split up. They are tempting at the price tag they come in at though.

The Sumitomo HTR-Z III were good before the Goodyear / Sumitomo dissolution. I still have my set from before that happened and I love them. They actually grip extremely well. I can not confirm personally, but a reputable source both in the racing and tire world told me that the quality and grip in them dropped after the 2015 split up. They are tempting at the price tag they come in at though.

Yeah. I heard the same. My friend runs it on all his cars and still swears by them. Tbh, the price-point was something I couldn't pass up on for what I got them for + mounted.

Got the exhaust welded up & on today. Will post pictures of it later.

Just curious why you chose the Bc coilovers? I was on the fence a year ago and between bc and feel. I eventually found a new old set of tein super streets for an extremely reasonable price.

But after all my research I found the bc have upper strut mount issues well on other platforms. Then I rode in a buddies srt4 with bc br and they rode horrible. That further steered my choice.

Just curious why you chose the Bc coilovers? I was on the fence a year ago and between bc and feel. I eventually found a new old set of tein super streets for an extremely reasonable price.

But after all my research I found the bc have upper strut mount issues well on other platforms. Then I rode in a buddies srt4 with bc br and they rode horrible. That further steered my choice.

That's funny! I've had a bunch of friends who used BC coils and have had 0 issues. But yet again, they all got aligned by the same guy. So who knows? ::shrug:: So my reason of purchase is other people use them (locally) and love them. I've ridden Tiens and like them too. We will see. I'll keep everything updated for you guys.

Right now I'm chasing why sometimes my car runs like a champ and sometimes it runs like turd while trying to accelerate. I changed my coils thinking that was that - and it didn't "misfire" since 'till now.

No worries man I was really considering them myself glad to see a build coming together. I just finished a bunch of wiring. Hopefully I'll get to crank it up for the first time in 4yrs this week.

Ah man that’s exciting!! I’ll be going through everything on this car before it gets heavy mods. Staying simple and clean for now with basic bolt ons. May sound crazy but with just an exhaust it opened the turbo flow up. I can actually say I feel a difference! I love this car.

That's funny! I've had a bunch of friends who used BC coils and have had 0 issues. But yet again, they all got aligned by the same guy. So who knows? ::shrug:: So my reason of purchase is other people use them (locally) and love them. I've ridden Tiens and like them too. We will see. I'll keep everything updated for you guys.

I went with FEAL coilovers for the same reason as Brian, e.g all of the ones under 1K were manufactured in the same ching chang offshore plant and rode like crud.. I hope these work out for you my man!! Nice car and the start of a nice build..

Yeah no worries I've had it for 15yrs and it sat for most of them. It was never worth getting rid of I just hung onto till I finally had the means to build it how I wanted it. Glad i did. I've had several but this was my first. I'm glad I kept it garaged the whole time no rust LOL

Thanks for your feedback! I hope they work for me too! Certainly, if they don't work out for me they're coming off and something else is going on. Whatever the case may be - it has to be better than my stock ones because they're shot! Rides like ass right now.

I went with FEAL coilovers for the same reason as Brian, e.g all of the ones under 1K were manufactured in the same ching chang offshore plant and rode like crud.. I hope these work out for you my man!! Nice car and the start of a nice build..

So after dialing in the BC Coils - I've had no complaints about it what-so-ever. Railing corners good and drives perfect. Car needs a lot of work still.

E60E0DBD-D5FD-4A1D-906B-E42EF7D57D91.jpeg
5C04452E-4A87-4935-9812-08CEAD2B3D82.jpeg
A1C1976A-8C3F-428A-9F58-92177D949963.jpeg
789E5AE8-4F0D-4B71-816D-BA85E1ED9420.jpeg

So here's somewhat of an update. Wheels, coils, brakes and exhaust is on!

Wheels : RPF1 17x9 +35
Tires : Sumi 245/40/17
Coils : BC BR
Brakes & Pads : Stoptech

Nothing about putting these wheels on (and coils) were an easy task. Every bolt was SEIZED and extremely "fun" to get off. Oh yeah - the only way I was able to get the rear coils off was with a real torch & and air hammer. BUT WAIT! The front rotors were even "BETTER".. Torch & more torch with practically a sledge hammer finally broke it loose. Only bad news is in process of trying to remove the rotors, I damaged the front hub bearing / assembly.

After everything I'm pretty happy. Now I have a new "to-do-list" being : ATE (Active Toe Eliminator), Rear subframe bushings & front and front hub assembly.

Yay!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back