The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G BOV vs. Crushed 1G Bov

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegsx

Probationary Member
Oct 10, 2004
Zuerich, Europe
Hi, maybe this question sounds stupid,
but can anyone tell me, what the difference between a
1G Bov and a crushed 1G bov is? Wich one is better?

(I tried the search button, but I did not find an answer)

Thanks

Mike

A 1g crushed BOV is exactly that, crushed. You hook a vaccuum line up to it and put it in a vice and SLOWLY start to compress it until the amount of vaccuum required to open the valve increases to whatever boost pressure you want it to run.

In short, you crush it so that it'll hold more boost. Its a cheaper alternative to upgrading to a BOV with a harder spring in it.

Which one is better depends on what your plans are...the stock 1g BOV will hold over 18 psi just fine, so its only for high boost. I crushed mine a little bit because I am venting to the atmosphere, and some 1g BOVs stay slightly open at idle and when I vent, it whistles. It got annoying so I did this to fix it.

I am just wondering if any of you guys tried the 1g bov mod where you drill holes in it to make new ports? I don't totally understand how it works. If anyone ones is using this setup, do you like it, or is it better to just crush the bov. Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks, Kevin

i would also like to know if drilling the holes to make new ports is even a worthwhile mod or not. Does anyone know if its any better than crushing the bov? :confused:

I had mine crushed the other day for the hell of it, I was just at my friends house talking about our 2Gs and it came up. I guess I'll know once I get my 14b and I can actually bring my boost to 18psi.

The Dodge Garage mod works very nicely, is pretty easy to do if you're careful and have basic hands-on skills and basic tools, will work better and more reliably than a crushed BOV and looks much better than a crushed BOV, too.

I've had mine in my car for a few years and it works great and I know people running them on 10s or faster cars that swear by them, so definitely worthwhile :)

Woah...didn't even notice that. It was mixed in with the most recently updated threads...not sure why it was there if it's from '05.

Oops?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back