The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g AWD Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild Service

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul@RTM

Supporting Vendor
Oct 24, 2012
Hamilton, ON_Canada
RTM is offering a 1g AWD rear brake caliper rebuild service.
This service is for those that have been unable to find a local rebuilder capable and/or interested in rebuilding 1g AWD rear calipers. (This is presumably due to the fact that they have the parking brake mechanism integral with the caliper and are considered a complicated/nuisance rebuild)? We aren't sure what the story is with every rebuilder out there, but we've got a rebuilder local to us that handles these calipers without issues or complaints. They've already done at least half a dozen for us and the results were top notch.

In any case, we must point out that this is a rebuild service where you send us your calipers and our rebuilder rebuilds YOUR ACTUAL CALIPERS. We do NOT exchange the calipers we receive from you with a rebuilt set on our shelf. We send the calipers off to our rebuilder and he rebuilds them and sends them back to us.

Here's the details on our website:

Having just done a set i dont know who said they are a pain as they are quite easy to rebuild. Over half the worlds population uses internal hand brakes on rear calipers vs spot or internal shoes so thats alot more built in hand brake calipers to be rebuilt.

Majority should be able to do this task. Of course working on brakes it critical so someone whk is new or a bit nervous might wish to avoid it just in case of a failure occured

Just out of curiosity, are you able to rebuild calipers where the parking brake needle bearings are seized or completely wore out?

Yes. We spoke to our rebuilder in detail about what we can expect from him, what sort of calipers are acceptable, etc. He assured us that as long as the portion of the casting that holds the brake fluid is not cracked, they can be rebuilt. (Basically, as long as the hydraulics within the caliper are sealed and remain able to function, they're rebuildable). Complete seizure of the caliper/piston is not a problem. In fact, some form of seizure is usually why the caliper is being rebuilt in the first place. Complete rust and seizure are not a problem. He said that even if the piston bore is compromised (from rust for example), if necessary, he can re-sleeve the piston bore.

(If you look at it from his point of view, if he rejects a caliper, he has to give it back to us and he gets no money. It certainly in his interest to NOT reject a caliper. He will only do it when he has no other choice).

Having just done a set i dont know who said they are a pain as they are quite easy to rebuild. Over half the worlds population uses internal hand brakes on rear calipers vs spot or internal shoes so thats alot more built in hand brake calipers to be rebuilt.

Majority should be able to do this task. Of course working on brakes it critical so someone whk is new or a bit nervous might wish to avoid it just in case of a failure occured
I did mine a while back. It was actually the first major job on a much bigger overhaul and restoration project on my Talon. All 4 calipers were seized and until that was fixed nothing else really mattered. The rears were obviously more challenging that the fronts due to the e-brake mechanism but it wasn't that bad. I followed an excellent guide on this site that was very detailed.

The hardest part was the e-brake mechanism, but again it wasn't too bad. I came up with my own solution to dismantling and rebuilding it. The worst part though was removing 28 years of accumulated rust and crud with just a drill and wire wheel attachments. Next time I'm using a die grinder! But once I was done they were good as new and I was damn proud of my work. No issues whatsoever on any of the 4 calipers.

That said, it's painstaking and I can see why people would want to send it out. I rebuilt my manual trans and ditto. People have lives and other priorities and it's not always practical to DIY, and not everyone wants to or feels safe doing it. Everyone has to do what feels right for them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back