The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1g AWD Inner Tie-Rod and outer tie-rod ends replacement.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In this next step we will be removing a damaged inner tie rod and swapping in new tie rods and tie rods ends even though the are in good condition. I'm waiting on the parts to come in, so for now read this thread (click me) So you can get the steering rack out of the car and on to a more suitable work space.

Disclaimer stuff: blah blah blah, By following this guideline, you agree not to sue me because you hurt yourself, cause your an idiot. blah blah

Other information: I've heard that you can do this without taking the steering rack out. There is little room I can't imagine getting a screw driver and a hammer in this tight of a spot under the car, frankly I wouldn't have even tried it. This is how I did it. You wanna try and do it your own way. Thats up to you. Wanna see how I did it, move on to the next step.

First you need to take of the inner most clamp.

You can do this by opening the the pressed tab pictured using a tiny flathead screwdriver or needle-nose pliers (if your patient). The pictures may look like identical but if you look in the red circle you will one has the both tabs down, the other one has both open.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,155
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,153
Spray the tie rod with some soapy water and slid the power steering boot all the way to tie rod end. The bottom picture is what you will see (on the driver side, the passenger side does not have slotted teeth).

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,041
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2,073
To remove the tie rod. First you have to push back the bent tabs on the washers. I did this with a screwdriver and a hammer. Light taps is all it needs, the metal is relatively soft.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,072
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,126
Now take a LARGE (and I mean large, not sure how large, but I know it's greater then 22 mm) adjustable wrench and adjust snugly to fit on the flat sections of the tie rod (as shown).

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,061
Presto you got them off. Here are the new ones and..... What the?!?! Thats not right!!!!

Ok... so the vendor sent me the wrong part.....

But installation is the same as removal. Here are some other things to remember.

You should get new tie rod washers, I wouldn't recommend reusing the old ones. I will be going to Mitsubishi to get new ones.

My power steering boots were in good condition I will be reusing them, however it is impossible to re use the inner clamps. You will have to get new ones from Mitsubishi or use heavy duty zip ties.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,399
**Edit** Added 01-APR-2009

I've got a few questions about part numbers for
a) The lock washer and
b) The large clamp on the inner-side of the dust boot.

From CAPS I got these numbers, but the washer in CAPS looks alot larger then it should.
a) MR198986
b) MR198994

Attachments

• washer.bmp
    436 KB · Views: 894
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back