The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1g awd gas tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklesmack

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2009
phoenix, Arizona
Ok i have searched but did not find an answer this is my first 1g 92 plymouth laser awd and during my build i discovered that the tank was half way full and its been sitting for about 5 years.... So yeah its looking bad and my question is are fwd and awd gas tanks the same or are they diffrent i have searched the junk yards and i am only able to find fwd donors....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your old gas tank totally destroyed or maybe you could clean the crap out of it?

i would try to clean it out, finding a gastank for an awd isn't going to be fun, ha.

There's plenty of ways to clean and restore a rusty/gummed up fuel tank.

I had to do it to one of my cars and I used this website as a guide: DIY Fuel Tank Restoration - looks like the pictures aren't showing up anymore.. maybe the wayback machine will have some.

Only other thing I did was buy a couple feet of some decent sized chain from home depot and put it in the gas tank while I was washing it out. Shake the hell out of the tank with the chain in there and it will knock a lot of that shit loose. I didn't go so far as to coat the tank with the POR15 stuff though, I just got it as clean as I could and changed the fuel filter. Maybe if I was going to keep the car for a while I would think about picking up that POR15 gas tank restore kit.

Link to the POR15 products:
POR15 FUEL TANK REPAIR KIT-POR-15 Inc.

POR15 gas tank repair instructions:
http://www.por15.com/Data Sheets/cycle tank repair kit.pdf

Hi, Are Not the same. Im lookign to confirm if its the same as galant Vr4 AWd oviously.

Today go to a mopar to buy a new gas tan (i really want to restore my car like original possible ) but told me the gas tank is Discontinued. Its any chance any o buy a new awd gas tank or its is a madness i have to go for any Aluminum replacement a live with race car just for that.

Thanks for your Advice were and what tank to buy for a daly drive car.

1g AWD (D27A) Fuel tank assembly = MB554385
galant vr4 fuel tank assembly (E39A) = MB658443 (supercedes MB846254)

It appears they are different according to ASA.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back