The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1G AWD Fuel Tank Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g Fuel Tank Removal Guide:
6 Large Nuts and 2 10mm Bolts.
Not a single issue at all.
Jack the rear of the car up and support it with jack stands. Pre-spray all hardware with WD40 (or your favorite penatrant) first. The 2 10 mm BOLTS that hold the shield on (1 on each side, toward the front) come in from the top and one is kinda a PITA to get to but a 10mm ratchet wrench got to them and worked great. The others are larger nuts on studs. Came right off with my impact, easily. You have the filler hose, filler hose vent, tank vent hose and the hanger assembly itself. Mine still had the weird style double wire type hose clamps. Dont bother even trying to loosen them, they will just twist up. Cut those off with diagonal cutters and replace with worm style clamps for your convenience. They will be on the filler hose, at the tank and the filler VENT hose (about 1" OD on the top of the tank, hidden from view), so have some worm clamps available. Take the hanger out first. Pump out any fuel you can then unhook the filler neck bottom clamp. As the tank comes down/out (its not really heavy if empty), you will have access to the filler vent and tank vent lines.
Thats it, at that time it should be on the ground/out of the car.
On a scale of 1-10, it was a 2 :thumb:
Marty

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Pretty much how it worked for mine, too. Removing the stock pressure hose can give some trouble, as it takes a flare wrench in tight quarters, and can be stubborn.
Also, I removed the drain plug to get the most gas possible from the tank before removing it: just one option. Of course you’ll need a new fuel-rated gasket to put it back.
Nice write up!

I was "scared" to remove the drain because of some posts saying it leaked afterwards. I soaked up every bit of fuel with old clothes that were being used as rags.
I did forget the exhaust part, as mine is stock with an open dump up front but I noticed my 1990 GSX has some aftermarket exhaust on it so I may have to remove that section before the tank will come out of it. That car is experiencing issues that are also fuel related and it was getting fuel from the same source so I need to do it also.
Thanks for adding in the fuel line, if it is stock. It is kind of a PITA to break loose. I always did it from under the car, at that joint, and had to use vice grips the very first time I removed its fuel pump hanger. Now that comes apart easy from the top as I put it in a vice and loosened up that cantankerous upper line that some strip the head off of.
I guess, now that I have upgraded my fuel system, I took the ease of removal of the fuel feed for granted that it is so easy now that it is AN line.
Thanks again for the additional information! Always better to have more than not enough.
:thumb:
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back