The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1g AWD Fuel Pump Sending Units Now Available for Sale!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul@RTM

Supporting Vendor
Oct 24, 2012
Hamilton, ON_Canada
These things are finally available for sale.
We'll let the product description do the talking:

That product is now live and these units can now be purchased through the webstore. There aren't a whole lot of photos in the webstore at this point, but we'll be taking a bunch more and adding to them. At this point, we have not yet updated the photos in the installation instructions, but those will be coming soon.

As for any Galant VR4 owners out there. We have FPSU's for that platform as well, but we're still working on getting that product into our webstore. We expect the VR4 units to be available for purchase early next week.

Many thanks to all those who have waited patiently for these. It took longer than we would have expected (due to a variety of factors: complications with covid for one) but we finally pushed through.

We're glad to be able to support the DSM community!

Got it, installed it with the tank stud repair kit.

Review...
Sending unit is a nice product and much needed for these cars. There's a few things I'd consider moving forwards...

Update the photos please, my mechanic was thrown off thinking it was the picture on the website. His initial install plan went out the window.

This unit isn't really that straight forward for big head pumps. The 450 needed a lot of tweaking and couldn't really use the 1/2npt port unless I wanted to have modifications done to the arm etc. Consider an upgrade price for plug and play for big head pumps. I spent it anyways on the mechanic labor but you could've got it and made this aspect real easy. Something to consider since few shops even want to work on these cars due to customized labor and time issues.

The low level light is a mess, I have 15 gallons in the tank and the light hasn't gone off. The light worked accurately for 31 years. Highly consider telling customers this won't probably work again, my mechanic pulled the unit twice and then decided it wasn't worth the expense on my end for shop time. I'll still use the trip odometer for fuel fill ups but it was nice to have the low light.
Real bummer here considering people think or cars are hacked up, old and busted and I'm not that type of car owner.

Anyway to offer a float arm and low light, that you've tested that works, as an option?
Considering the expense of this item, might as well go all the way and upgrade the whole 32 year old thing, plenty of us will buy it.

Stud kit is great, fixed the issue and stopped the fill up fumes I'd dealt with for a decade.

Just stumbled upon this post. We aren't sure what to make of it.
Let's face it, a review is a review. Which is to say, it's one person's opinion of their experience. We certainly aren't going to try to refute it.

What we can say is that many of the complaints listed in the review we've been unable to duplicate ourselves with our own setup. Again, I want to emphasize that does not make Car Cannibal's experience invalid. We assume that it is valid.

We will comment on a couple of things:

"couldn't really use the 1/2npt port unless I wanted to have modifications done"
We genuinely don't know what your saying here. We're lost on this one. The 1/2NPT port is the large female port on the exterior of the unit just below our engraved logo. We aren't sure how the sending unit could function without this port being used. We assume you were referring to another port. We don't know which one, or what the problem was.

"The low level light is a mess, I have 15 gallons in the tank and the light hasn't gone off"
We've installed a big head pump on one of our sending units with the stock float / low level sensor and had no issues. There were no clearance issues or any similar issues. We even have photos of it in the "detailed images" of that product in our webstore. Again, we're lost on this one.

"Anyway to offer a float arm and low light, that you've tested that works, as an option?"
We know of no float arm / low light in existence. The OEM one has been discontinued for many years and we know of no aftermarket alternative. Plus, as mentioned, if you have a functioning OEM unit, we see no reason why it wouldn't work.

In any case, we value our customer's opinions and we value this particular one and we encourage others to comment on their experiences with this product or any other product we sell.

Here's the sender I got for the big head pump.

This pic is from my mechanic so he's not trying to hide anything from me in case there's any question on that. Though that doesn't mean he did install it correctly so if there's something my mechanic missed, please post back and I'll have him read it.

He said the current config had no way to use the 1/2npt hole and that he'd have to modify it so instead we should use the smaller hole (return line).

The low light stays on 100% now, never an issue in the 21 years I've owned it. He could've missed something but it looks like the posts are pretty straight forward. Again if there's something you notice and can make it 100% fool proof nows the time, but not having a functioning low light sucks.

If there's pictures, instructions or whatever to make this easier for mechanics on your end, it might be a good idea to do this now before you sell a bunch more. If this guy missed something I can say he wasn't impressed with the instructions for a $400 part, I didn't ask what that meant but ya he had to create a solution.

After our PMs I can say this is what's frustrating about all this, I'm $700 deep in this. This is a full time Import mechanic and not a 20YO newbie that either installed it wrong or there's something not as straight forward as I initially thought, I screwed up on your website or I got the wrong version shipped etc.

If you need to use my pic as a bad example feel free, I'll end up doing what I normally do, pay someone else later or sell this and go back to what worked before.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The 45 degree fitting is what came with the sender and I believe was attached like that out the box but I can't say 100% for sure.

The pic is the pump lined up where it works with the wiring and outlet hole.

That's the point of this, before 50 more cars get this, let's have RTM set this straight and let's all move forwards. It's a nice unit so let's get this right for everyone as 40 year old senders are gonna become a bigger issue as the decades roll by.

Why, according to their website, does it show that the angled port is the return? I'm super unfamiliar with AWD hangers so this is an honest question @Car Cannibal . Outside looking in, seems like your pump is being installed on the wrong side of the hanger?

First pic below is the link I clicked to get to the second pic.

The third pic is the one titled "With big head pump installed".

Last edited:
Looks like my guy put the pump on the backside thinking those fittings were for the outlet. What picture comes with the instructions because those seem pretty straight forward and the mechanic said the pics in the box were not this sender design?

Your picture 1 with a pump on the correct side would be all anyone would need to see to understand the intended install and design. That's were I'd start RTM, make it fool proof as a guy that does this for a living and customizes stuff over thought this and created his own path in his mind.

While that solved the install issue of my review I'm gonna go with the low light and fuel sender were not done correctly either. I'm gonna have my other DSM guy fix all this and see if the low light and gauge were also done hastily. I'll return when finished.

Your reply is that I didn't install it so this never happened. Or that the call I had with the mechanic about him looking up pics for the install and how the pictures don't match the product that he found and was looking at doesn't convey his struggle, ok.

I bought the part, paid a pro and am responding with the words and a picture of a professionals feedback, you know, an installer of the product!!

Guy installed it backwards, maybe there's something RTM could change for the future to help stop this, product gets better, point of these posts. Let them reply and see if there's....anything, they'd change in the directions to install this.

Your reply is that I didn't install it so this never happened. Or that the call I had with the mechanic about him looking up pics for the install and how the pictures don't match the product that he found and was looking at doesn't convey his struggle, ok.

I bought the part, paid a pro and am responding with the words and a picture of a professionals feedback, you know, an installer of the product!!

Guy installed it backwards, maybe there's something RTM could change for the future to help stop this, product gets better, point of these posts. Let them reply and see if there's....anything, they'd change in the directions to install this.
90% of the time its always user or installer error! Just because he is a mechanic does not make him awesome! I fix mechanic and even engineer messups all the time. We all make these mistakes at some point.

So while you can hide behind him ideally, on your part as you're not the one actually dealing with the hanger in your own hands. Its like me talking to someone about something then making a review on his comments based upon a story. We only deal with first hand experiance. And you least you could of done was email rtm vs posting on here playing the blame game so fast. Not only are you causing problems for your sake but also its possible others might get worried because someone installed it wrong so it gets all messed up in the thread when in fact its not a problem and works well etc etc. Not saying all the time it happens this way but it does more often then not.

If you think they can do something better how about giving your opinion thats helpful! Maybe say pre install them in the location or mark what side the pump is ( even though thats obvious ) straight goes with a straight NOT a 45! I dont know if the top is labeled or detailed so maybe that might help out?
So offer some helpful advice from your person who is struggling and feed this back to your pro installer mechanic also. He can also offer up some advice for you to relay back and then work it out. Between you and him some ideas for how to make it better can be done. And email rtm also! They will likely love to confirm it all with you. Companys hate you shooting them down and more so when user error is involved and they still get blamed

But all it takes at the start is some checking / pre mock up before handing it over. Remember this dont look bad just on your installer it looks bad on you also for not knowing this as a basic fitment of how a hose goes.

Last edited:
I don't want this thread to devolve into unnecessary unpleasantness, so I thought I should present a few facts.

First, it is absolutely true that the install instructions on our website refer to our previous version of these sending units, complete with photos of our previous version, etc. Certainly, the previous version and the current version of our sending units are not the same. However, they are not fundamentally different, they are largely the same. However, we will freely acknowledge that the current install instructions are less than ideal. Probably adequate, but no more than that. So Car Cannibal and anyone else who has purchased one of our newer units has a legitimate complaint about the install instructions. The reason we have yet to update our instructions is simply a case of priorities and finite available resources: in an effort to get our sending units to market as soon as possible, we chose to focus all our attention on the sending units themselves and not on the install instructions. If we chose to delay the release of our units until after the instructions were also updated, it would have pushed the release date further ahead than we were willing to tolerate. Why they have not yet been updated is also a matter of finite resources. The spring / early summer is our busiest time of year (sales wise) and we've found it difficult to assign the limited resources we have to the install instructions. We wish we had infinite resources, but we simply don't. And in that reality, choices must be made. We like to think we made the right choice. Others may disagree. In the case of inadequate, confusing, incomplete, etc instructions, we encourage customers' to reach out to us for assistance. We can't promise miracles in every case, but we can give our best effort.

Second, it appears that Car Cannibal purchased the incorrect sending unit for the pump he installed. (We actually have 3 different "versions" of our sending unit: each comes with slightly different parts and accessories uniquely suited to a particular setup. The 3 versions are: single pump (conventional pump), single pump (big head pump), dual pump (conventional pumps). In some cases, one setup can be easily converted to another setup by simply adding or removing parts, but in other cases, the differences are not so small).

There appear to have also been some other fundamental errors in the installation. We suspect some wiring errors, at least, and perhaps others issues. However, we're not going to dwell on those in a public forum.

There's something else I wanted to mention.
I'm going to preface everything by saying NO ONE NEEDS OUR PERMISSION TO POST A REVIEW (whether favourable or othewise). However, it is generally accepted internet? courtesy (or perhaps just general courtesy) to first communicate to the the seller: difficulties you are having, dissatisfaction with the product, or any other problems, concerns, deficiencies, etc. This was not done. In fact, Car Cannibal did not communicate with us directly until recently in response to a PM (asking for his order number). As I stated earlier, he (or anybody else) is not required to do this, it's merely considered good etiquette.

In any case, we are currently in direct communication with Car Cannibal to work through his situation.

One other thing that has yet to be mentioned: the 45 degree fitting on the underside is for a hose to take the return line fuel to the bottom of the tank. That does NOT connect to the outlet side of the unit. Only the other two barbs (one straight and one at I think 10 degrees) if present connect to the outlet of the unit. Single pump units will only have one hose barb fitting there.

Thanks Paul, for chiming in! Since I have recently been involved with a Holley EFI conversion on a domestic car, I was familiar with that 45* line that you say needs to have a hose going to the bottom of the tank. The setups are kinda similar, depending on what pump I use on the domestic models (in tank or external). Holley's instructions told us to run a line to the bottom so that the return fuel would not aeriate the fuel in the tank while the pump is trying to pick up fuel. I am just putting this on here as an explanation that we had to do for my sons 1986 Z28 Camaro. I like the design of the 1g hanger that you guys have fabricated. Maybe just a little explanation as to what goes where and everyone will understand how it is to be used. I am thanking my lucky stars that I have saved 3 original hangers lately myself.
Please keep up the good work and ideas to keep us all on the roads! :thumb:
Marty

Update
Just got the car back after..

Updated pictures, proper hangar post and verbal directions from RTM.

2nd shop got the car to go over everything..

Outcome = issues resolved.
New pictures were a big help, no issues with wiring and the gauges work again. No issue having the mechanic try to figure out what to do and possibly over engineer a solution and proper hanger post installed.

RTM, thanks for creating a much needed product, not bailing when there were issues and making changes to the website and instruction pictures to help future customers.

So......I'm gonna lightly reply to your etiquette post but wow, if you wanna lite the wick on a guy that just spent an EXTRA $400 total on fixing issues I would deem as from lack of new product instruction etiquette and website confusion, I'll make sure to reply back with a boom for you. Etiquette isn't just a response to a problem, it's taking the time to think of others time and resources BEFORE. Let's leave it here ok but I'll make sure to get my extra $400 back if you wanna throw jabs at a guy you wounded.

Nice product, will be better to install from this point forward and I would recommend it for our 30 year old cars.

I think all dsm-ers with 1g AWD are happy to see a new product on the market to address a sorely lacking item for our cars. I had to repair my fuel system when I fist got my car several ago, and took a lot of pains to rejuvenate my hanger and associated parts. My own impressions are that the staff at RTM show a lot of good manners (even in their drop down menus they always write something like "Please include the OEM bolts....").
For anyone suffering with n/f fuel gauge sender issues, I was able to make one from a universal part I got from Tanks, Inc. I tried to adapt a FWD sender, but it didn't go well. If I had to try again, maybe. But the universal one with some careful mounting and wire-arm bending works fine. The range is off, but they also sell a meter match doo-dad that can make the resistance of the sender correctly calibrate for the gauge in the dash. I did end up using the low-fuel sensor from the FWD unit and it also works great (just below 1/4 tank).
Sorry to hi-jack this a bit, but seems somewhat relevant to pump hangers. Again, very glad to see anyone taking the time to invest in this platform. Keep up the great work.

Outcome = issues resolved.
New pictures were a big help, no issues with wiring and the gauges work again. No issue having the mechanic try to figure out what to do and possibly over engineer a solution and proper hanger post installed.
We're glad it eventually all worked out.
RTM, thanks for creating a much needed product, not bailing when there were issues and making changes to the website and instruction pictures to help future customers.
We'd just like to say that we absolutely appreciate feedback on our products (most especially products we manufacture). We also like to think that when an issue is found, we correct it. In this particular case, we modified that product's description to include greater detail to aid in the installation.
Nice product, will be better to install from this point forward and I would recommend it for our 30 year old cars.
Thank you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back