The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G AWD Front Axles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBWaterfowler

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2007
Huntington Beach, California
Does anyone know a good place to buy some new front axles for AWD 1G?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions? Like should I replace something else while I'm having the axles done? Should I check anything for wear?

What about used front axles?

I found a webpage selling stock front awd axles for $69.95 each. Seems like the best deal, but I dunno. I'm looking for the poor mans suggestions.

I will be going to Willow Springs down the road, so I want to kind of get things heading in that direction (being ready).

Thanks. :thumb:

Really any parts store should suffice for axles and most will offer core. Raxles - Raxles Home is a good vendor. You can replace the axle seals on the transmission if you so wish, but I wouldnt unless they are leaking. Inspect the driver axle carrier bearing for wear and replace if necessary. Also be sure to use new end nuts and cotter pins with the new axles (most new axles come with these.)

Inspect the driver axle carrier bearing for wear and replace if necessary.

Besides my axles making popping and ticking noises (turns/strait)... When I'm going strait I get this slight grinding vibration in my foot, but no actual noise. It stops obviously when my wheels stop rotating. I'm not sure if that's just part of the axles being worn? Or if something internally has been worn down? Like the carrier bearing.

I'm planning on buying some new axles and having RoadRaceEngineering do the labor. The main thing is, cost (poor guy here), then I also want to have them check/replace anything that will be related to the install (like: carrier bearing) if it needs to be replaced or is just cheap and will give me some type of durability that will last the same as the new axles.

So... if you guys think if anything else... Let me know. I'm not sure if something like that carrier bearing might already be included, so I can check with Sam on that.

Ok, so I found a place selling front axles for my 1G AWD for $50 each side.

I decided to have them install the axles for $120.00 for a total of $220.00.

Now that I have the car back, it is perfect if I keep it below 20 mph. But once I go above 20-25 mph, I start to feel and hear some friction noises ( raww, rawww, raww ). This noise is consistent, and will get louder and faster as I accelerate. I have not taken my car past 50 mph because I'm scared something would break.

So I talked to the owner and said it was making some friction noises, and so I'm gonna take it in after work today for him to look at it.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong here? I was under the impression that this is an easy thing with little problems (pop it out, pop new ones in).

When I keep it below 20 mph it is flawless (no noises/friction), turns w/o any noises.

Should there be something I need to key in on?

My guess is, he put the wrong axles in or they axles he put in (remanufactured) are bad.

Ideas?

FYI: California Axles Supply @ Beach/Slater (Huntington Beach, CA)
Really nice guy, great price. We will see how he handles this problem.

Car is drivable. Any idea what the carrier bearing would do (in this case) ?

Thanks!

I'm gonna check this thread before I live work in 3 hours to bring your comments with me to the shop.

Take it back to the shop. You took it there to get fixed and they didnt fix it. They should stand by there work.

You got raped on labor also. Thats a 1 hour job at most.

Now that I have the car back, it is perfect if I keep it below 20 mph. But once I go above 20-25 mph, I start to feel and hear some friction noises ( raww, rawww, raww ). This noise is consistent, and will get louder and faster as I accelerate. I have not taken my car past 50 mph because I'm scared something would break.

So I talked to the owner and said it was making some friction noises, and so I'm gonna take it in after work today for him to look at it.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong here? I was under the impression that this is an easy thing with little problems (pop it out, pop new ones in).

When I keep it below 20 mph it is flawless (no noises/friction), turns w/o any noises.

My guess is, he put the wrong axles in or they axles he put in (remanufactured) are bad.

Ideas?

Thanks!

I'm gonna check this thread before I live work in 3 hours to bring your comments with me to the shop.

definately make sure all of your wheels are tightened down, and if thats not the problem then take it back. its 10 bucks a boot. so you could rebuild both axles for 40 dollars. and make sure they change the transmission fluid while they do that too, because it will leak out the axle imput area.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Your rawing noise sounds like a wheel bearing. Sometimes on these older cars when you loosen the axle nuts the bearing will loosen and not tighten back up right.

Your rawing noise sounds like a wheel bearing. Sometimes on these older cars when you loosen the axle nuts the bearing will loosen and not tighten back up right.

i always wondered how the bearing where in awd car, I though wheel bearings where just on the wheel with out axles. Anyone have a picture of a wheel beairng or a hub with an axle?

Well the car is at the shop and I'll pick it up after work.

He said he thinks it's the wheel bearing (pro guess) and has the part ordered.

I was wondering how it works too... Can anyone explain where the bearing is and how it works and all? I would think me driving around with the bearing bad for 2 days might have caused some wear/dmg to the new axles? :cry: I hope not.

i always wondered how the bearing where in awd car, I though wheel bearings where just on the wheel with out axles. Anyone have a picture of a wheel beairng or a hub with an axle?

I replaced the front wheel bearings myself using the links in this thread. Lots of pictures and information on wheel bearings. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back